Sticky chicken from the instantpot
Instant pot sticky chicken
I recently treated myself to an instant pot. And I instantly fell in love with this lovely machine. Since I am still in the learning process I checked a couple of recipe sites and landed on this beauty by Paleo Running Momma.
Like I said my love for the instant pot was kind of immediate. It’s such a versatile machine. I had a slowcooker for ages but the good part is that this instant pot is slow cooker, pressure cooker and so much more in one handy piece of equipment.
In an never ending attempt to keep the number of machines in my kitchen to a minimum. Which is a challenge to say the least. Anyway, I came upon the recipe and I was intrigued.
You might think that it is hardly worth the trouble to wip out this machine and make this sticky chicken, but believe me it is totally worth the effort and it’s literally done in a few minutes.
Remember I made that cola chicken a while ago? While I loved the effect the cola had on the chicken, you can’t really say it is the best possible option to create food. I am not too fond of coca cola and to be honest I don’t even like the stuff.
So this version of a sticky chicken is really next level. I made it with a friend and we both agreed that this was to die for. Not literally preferably but definitely worth making over and over again.
You start the process of making the sticky chicken from the instant pot by turning the machine on to sauté. It’s essentially a really easy way to bake and brown things. Like a one pot machine that can do it all.
I have to say that while making the sticky chicken I found out that arrowroot sticks a whole lot more than something like breadcrumbs. I was too enthusiastic in dumping all the chicken in the egg and than all the chicken into the arrowroot. I was left with one giant lump of chicken bits.
To take them all apart I had to place them into the instant pot one at a time. It all ended up being fine in the end, but pretty sure there is a better way to do this.
Just something to be aware of.
We had the sticky chicken with cauliflower rice and it was totally delicious. We had it raw but it’s even better when you quickly bake the cauliflower rice. Otherwise the difference between the cold rice and the warm sticky chicken is too big. Just something to be aware of.
If you’re into it this will also go brilliantly with cauliflower nasi. If you do I would leave out the chicken and the shrimps in that case. Otherwise it will be a bit too much.
Another Asian style chicken recipe is this delicious healthy pad thai recipe.
Paleo sticky chicken from the instant pot
- 90 ml coconut aminos 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 60 ml rice vinegar 1/4 cup
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 350 gr chicken thigh filets in cubes
- 45 gr arrowroot
- 1 egg whisked
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 5 cm ginger grated
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 120 ml chicken stock 1/2 cup
- 2 tsp arrowroot to thicken the sauce
- 1 tbsp of stock to mix with the arrowroot
- Direct in je mandje bij:
- spring onion
- sesame seeds
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl and mix it well to combine. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg and place the arrow root in another bowl (the 45 gr)
- Add the chicken cubes to the egg and stir so all chicken is covered in some egg. Add the chicken to the arrowroot and make sure all chicken cubes are covered with some arrowroot. If you have too much arrowroot on it shake it off.
- Turn on the instant pot and set to sauté. Wait until it is really hot. Add the coconut oil.
- Fry the chicken pieces in two batches. Separate the pieces out if necessary. Mine was a bit of a sticky mess, so I had to place each piece of chicken separately in the instant pot. I'm sure that'll work better if you do it a bit more careful.
- Once they start to brown take out the chicken and add the next batch. Also remove from the pot and remove any sticky bits that are in the pan.
- Add the sesame oil and bake the sesame seeds, garlic and ginger in the pot. Add the chicken back in and pour in the sauce. Stir through before adding the lid on.
- Turn the instant pot to high pressure for 5 minutes. Wait until it is done. Keep in mind that the machine also needs a bit of time to get to the right pressure.
- Use the quick release to let the steam out (and be careful of the hot steam!) In the mean time you mix 2 tsp of the arrowroot with a bit of stick or water. Mix it to a smooth paste and add to the pan. Stir until it will bind.
- Turn off the instant pot and serve with cauliflower rice.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.