Christmas on a budget
Christmas and in general the entire month of December is certainly not the most budget friendly. It looks like nothing is enough. I heard that people have been shopping here online for 385 million euro of stuff. 385 million! That is an insane amount of money. Especially when you consider the fact that people moan about money for the biggest part of the year and than all of a sudden nothing is too crazy.
You would almost forget that there are people who actually do not have all that much money but still want to celebrate Christmas.
I’m not pretending I know what that is like. But I have been thinking about the options for a Christmas menu if you don’t have that much to spend. And this is simple but sooo good! And the beauty of this dish is that you can make it in the slowcooker (or in the oven if you don’t have one) and forget about it while you prepare other things.
We ate this with savoy cabbage with shiitake mushrooms and sweet potatoe fries. If you make it for Christmas you can pair it with an extra large green salad or something along those lines and you’re done for not too much.
Sticky chicken from the slow cooker
- 4-8 drumsticks, skin removed
- 150 ml honey
- 80 ml balsamic
- 80 ml soy sauce
- 100 gr peanut butter
- 3 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- black pepper
- roasted sesame seeds
- coriander or fresh parsley
- Place the honey, balsamic, soy sauce, peanut butter, chipotle, garlic, ginger and black pepper together in a small saucepan and bring slowly to the boil. Make sure it is all mixed well and add to the slowcooker.
- Turn it on high and add the drumsticks to the sauce. Pour something over the chicken if it is not yet covered.
- Leave to simmer slowly and turn the chicken over half way through.
- Once the chicken is cooked sprinkle it with sesame seed once it is served and add coriander.