Pasta with feta and chili – budget cooking € 2,66
You probably did not pick out your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband or wife for their love or non-love of certain food items. Or did you? But really, sometimes I find it such a shame that Tom is not a cheese lover. Sure I can make him happy with an ovendish which has a cripsy cheese layer on top or a pizza with regular cheese will be ok too. But don’t give him a quatro formaggio! Noo, that contains blue cheese and that is horrible (or so he thinks) Now me on the other hand; I am a real cheese lover or cheesehead as they tend to call you when you’re Dutch. I love all cheese and the stronger the better. maybe with the exception of that maggot filled cheesed I’ve heard about!
But for the rest you can always make me happy with a cheesy dish. No meat as long as there is cheese involved! The more the merrier! And feta, real feta, is one of my favorites. I can still remember that first moment when I had a saganaki cheese in Greece (which are not always made with feta but that’s another story) It was soooo good. I could live on the stuff, although that might not be all that healthy.
This simple and delicious budget friendly pasta is perfect for a one person meal or if you have a cheese loving friend in the area. The total sum is still fairly high with € 2,66 which is mainly due to the feta and the pinenuts. Both expensive items. Ofcourse you can could change those but that would make the dish a very different one and not as good. The advantage for me is I had to use the feta only once and for one person 50 gr of feta is quite a lot. I’m thinking you could probably get away with 25 gr instead.
Pasta with feta and chili
- 75 gr penne pasta € 0.16 Lidl
- 1 lime € 0.10 market
- 2 tbsp of pinenuts roasted € 0.50 (stock)
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley € 0.20 Turkish supermarket
- olive oil € 0.20 stock
- 1 red chili finely sliced € 0.50 (AH)
- 50 gr feta cheese crumbled € 0,50 (Lidl)
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions while you cut all your vegetables and crumble the feta. Keep the feta aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and transfer to a large bowl. You can basically add the other ingredients in their raw state or if you prefer you can quickly fry the red chili briefly. Up to you. Sprinkle some olive oil and lime juice over the pasta, stir and taste. Add some pepper and salt as needed and enjoy!
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.