Oat, ginger and orange crisps – Donna Hay #14
You see…. Cookies and me… That is just not a very good mix. If I don’t like cookies you wonder? Well yeeeesssss, I do… but… I just never make them. I don’t think they’re particularly exciting to make and I just don’t care enough to look any further than that. And still…. everytime I bake them I like them way too much! A while ago I made this insanely good chocolate crinkle cookies and they were so good I didn’t know how fast to remake them!
Except for those cookies and the Arnhemse meisjes, who technically are on my blog but are made by Tom and not by me, you will not find many cookies here. Not real cookies anyway. Maybe it just reminds me too much of dry biscuits or such, I am not sure what it is, but let’s be honest; if you think about new and exciting things to try cookies are not the first thing that come to mind right?
So when I saw this recipe for orange, ginger and oat cookies in the Donna Hay I am cooking from (as in cooking all the recipes from the one magazine) I thought ‘O cookies…’ Or something along those lines. I didn’t get all excited about it. But reading through the recipe I realized it was rather simple and just a matter of minutes making these. So that was all good. In the oven they flattened way to much but nothing a cutter couldn’t fix so within 30minutes I had a mountain of these cookies.
And warm, fresh out of the oven, these are soooooo good! Maybe it’s really a good thing that I don’t make cookies too often as I had a hard time keeping myself from eating them all. Delicious, crunchy and great flavor. They are a bit like the cookies we call ‘Kletskloppen” here which would translate something like chatterhead or I don’t know ‘talking heads’ Lol…. Not the musical kind though…
The Donna Hay Challenge is a challenge I set myself to cook ALL recipes from one single issue of Donna Hay Magazine and I picked Issue 71, The Fresh Issue. For the progress you can check the status here or find all the recipes here
Oat, ginger and orange crisps
- 2 cups 180 gr rolled oats
- 3/4 cup 135 gr brown sugar
- 3/4 cup 165 gr white sugar
- 1/4 cup 35 gr all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 150 gr unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Place the oats, sugars, flours and ginger in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter, egg and orange and mix until well combined. Place rolled table spoonfuls of the mixture onto baking trays lined with non stick baking paper and flatten into 6 cm rounds, leaving room for the crisps to spread.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Allow the crisps to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 24
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.