Loaded sweet potato with tomatoes
Loaded sweet potatoes
Ah the humble sweet potato. It’s such a versatile ingredient and I love using it in both sweet and savory dishes. It is easy and quick to use. And let’s not forget; it’s very delicious.
I know there are probably many versions of the loaded sweet potato out there. Pretty sure all lovers of sweet potato have their own version of this classic.
Classic or not so classic
Speaking of which; what makes a classic a classic anyway? The regular potato is probably the one that is the classic here. And the sweet potato is possibly the new kid on the block. In any case, this recipe for loaded sweet potato is super simple to make.
You start by roasting the sweet potatoes with skin on. It takes a bit of time, especially if the sweet potatoes are large but you can do other things in the mean time so no time wasted here.
While the potatoes are cooking away I start prepping for the filling. I cut all my vegetables, which arguable are not that many in this recipe, and set them aside.
You can easily increase the vegetable quantity for the recipe too. Just add things like courgette for instance or after cooking it is also delicious to add some avocado cubes. And I serve mine usually with a green salad to have enough veggies in the meal.
You can fill the sweet potato by slicing it partially open but I usually just cut them in two and serve the topping over it. You can also roast the potatoes quicker by already slicing them in two if you know you’re going to serve them the same way.
You’re loaded sweet potatoes will still taste equally as delicious no matter how you slice them!
Loaded sweet potato
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 300 gram minced meat
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper in cubes
- 100 gr cherry tomatoes in quarters
- 3 tbsp of mayonaise
- 1 tbsp chives finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Pepper and salt
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C (400˚F) and brush the skin clean. You do not need to remove the skins.4 sweet potatoes
- Place into an oven dish and use a fork to poke a few holes in the sweet potato.4 sweet potatoes
- Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until you can easily insert a fork into the flesh.
- In the meantime heat a pan with some olive oil. Fry the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and the bell pepper and cook until done.1 onion chopped, 1 clove of garlic minced, 1 yellow bell pepper in cubes
- Add the minced meat and brown until cooked through.300 gram minced meat
- Make the sauce by combining the ingredients and use pepper and salt to taste.3 tbsp of mayonaise, 1 tbsp chives finely chopped, Zest of 1 lime, Juice of 1/2 lime, Pepper and salt
- Divide the roasted sweet potato over four dishes and top each potato with the meat mix. Add the tomatoes to it and serve with the sauce.100 gr cherry tomatoes in quarters
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.