Ah, finally I had a whole day to myself yesterday! What a luxury! After having worked for weeks on end without a break in between it was about time. Thanks to Tom the blog kind of kept running sort, but I do have a back log of things. And that is ok too. It’s still summer aftera ll (although, while writing this it is pouring down with rain!)
And so what do you do when you have the day of? You of course start cooking like a maniac! And in between all the cooking I also had to have lunch. I still had some prawns in the freezer and they’re pretty easy to work with even in their frozen state. I normally always defrost as I kind of feel it is easier to keep track if they are done or not, when they’re thawed. But this was quick and easy and the prawns turned out quite good.
I also had a little jar of chili marmelade leftover from when we went to Norway last year. And it would go perfectly with the prawns. You see I have made this resolution with myself to get rid of some of the things I have in the cupboard and freezer. Like an overdose of stuff. You know that feeling? I can hardly open the cupboard without being attacked by two thousands packages of pasta… So I think I did quite well in terms of using the supplies today.
And it was so good that I actually ended up eating both of the plates (they were small plates, does that count for anything?)
Asian omelette with chili jam prawns
- 150 gram of prawns, uncooked
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp of chili jam plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp of fishsauce
- 1/2 cucumber
- few radishes (I used the large ones)
- rocket cress
- Break the eggs in a bowl and add the fish sauce and 1 tbsp of the chili jam. Mix well to combine.
- Heat a pan and pour half of the egg mixture into it, swirling the pan to make a thin omelette. Wait until the top is dry and than take it out of the pan, fold in half. repeat for the second one.
- In the same pan heat a little extra oil and add the prawns and the other tbsp of chili jam. Bake the prawns for about 5 minutes or until cooked
- In the meantime cut the veggies in thin strips using either a cutter or a knife
- For serving put one omelette on a plate and top with the prawns and vegetables. Sprinkle with chili jam and serve straight away.