Last week I was thinking it would be way too hot for a cauliflower soup recipe, but in the meantime the temperatures have dropped considerably and I think it is time! Right? and yes, this is a whole30 approved recipe since I made this when we were still on our whole30. You’ll find more recipes like this here anyway, but really; it doesn’t matter which diet or regime you follow. This soup is delicious regardless…
It’s quick, simple and well, plain delicious!
Our post whole30 is still a bit ‘wonky’ (love that word.. Like flabbergasted….0:) and that means that we are full in no time when we eat something that we haven’t had for 30 days. The first day we had a delicious breakfast with spelt toast and ham, lunch was a mixed grain salad (will follow!) with mango and tomato and at night we wanted to eat the chickenburgers we had made the day before…
But we also wanted to test some stuff for the blog in the afternoon and we decided on tempura batter for sweet potatoes and cauliflower rosets… So we made those and of course it had to be tasted as well. And it really wasn’t all that much, but… within something like 5 tempura fries I was full. And not a little bit, I felt completely stuffed! Like I just had 3 plates full of something… Really weird if you think about it.
Those burgers never saw the light of day as we had enough… Tsssss… So it’s still going easy on the grains for a bit, although we didn’t have any trouble with the lunch (which was mixed grains like spelt, farro, rice and such) Anyway, when you’re reading this we’re a few days further so I’m guessing we’re slowly getting used to being back to normal…
And in any case you can always have this delicious soup!
Cauliflower soup with bacon
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hr 10 minutes
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- few rashers of bacon, baked crisply
- Cut the cauliflower roughly into smaller pieces and set aside
- Heat a large pot and add the coconut oil. Fry the onions, carrots and garlic for about 5 minutes or until they are softened. Add the cauliflower and fry until it becomes a little bit browned.
- Add the broth and the water, bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer (covered) until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes
- Puree the vegetables with a stickblender in the pot (or use a blender but be careful that the hot liquid might spatter out, so keep a kitchentowel on top if you do that)
- Add salt, pepper and the coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Add the cripsy fried bacon bits on top and serve
Recipe from the book Well Fed 2 by Melissa Joulwan
This post is also available in: Dutch