The best ever gluten free carrot cake
I have a huge soft spot for anything that even remotely tastes and looks like a carrot cake. And I have a couple of carrot cake recipes online but had never really made a gluten free version.
Since I make all the recipes for the Dutch paleo magazine I wanted to create a version that would be paleo. And voila, here it is. The cake is super moist and totally delicious. Even Tom – not a big fan of gluten free things – thought it was the best carrot cake ever.
I gave it a crunchy topping of walnuts and coconut flakes which gives it that bit of extra. There is quite a bit of sugar in the cake though so don’t think it is healthy. It’s not. It’s a treat! That’s what it is. Replacing the sugar without issues is probably not possible but feel free to give that a try if you want. I used coconut sugar which gives it that bit of dark caramelized taste.
Gluten free carrot cake
Voor de cake
- 200 g almond flour
- 25 g tapioca flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 95 ml coconut oil melted and cooled to room temperature
- 140 g coconut blossom sugar or regular sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 170 g carrot grated
- 50 g walnuts chopped
- 50 g coconut flakes
- 75 g cashew nuts soaked
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- juice of half an orange
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. (375 F)
- Place almond flour, tapioca, baking soda, spices and salt in a large bowl and mix it well. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix the eggs, coconut milk, lemon juice, sugar, coconut oil and vanilla
- Stir the dry ingredients through the wet ingredients and mix it together well. Add the grated carrot as the last step and stir through.
- Take a square or round baking tin and line with baking paper. Put the dough inside and press it firmly into it, if needed.
- Sprinkle with the topping and place in the oven for 30 minutes or until cooked and golden brown. It doesn't get very high but that's ok.
- Make the icing by draining the cashews and mix it in a blender with the other ingredients until you have a smooth sauce.
- Leave to cool the carrot cake completely before you add the icing.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.
Have you tried this delicious pear cake?