Thai salad with chinese cabbage and mango – quick, healthy and delicious
Quick and delicious
If you’ve followed me for a while you might have guessed that I am a huge fan of salads. They are so versatile and have come such a long way from the boring salads my mum used to make in the eighties… 🙂
At that time the regular salad we had was lettuce (usually butter lettuce) with tomatoes, cucumber, egg and a store bought dressing. I can even imagine going out and buying a salad dressing in the super market. I haven’t bought anything like that in ages. And why would you? Making your own dressing is so simple!
The Asian flavors in this salad come mostly from the dressing which is delicious and gives you an instant Thai feeling. I know it’s not traditional Thai in any way but who cares right? It’s really good so have a go and try out this salad. I also love the crunch of the Chinese cabbage here which is not something I had used in a salad before.
It’s been too long that we visited Thailand. I think it must have been something like 15 years ago. Wow… that’s a pretty long time.. 🙂 Anyway, this simple salad will transport you back into Asian vibes… You’ll see.. Another one of my favorite lunch recipes is this Asian omelette with prawns!
Thai salad with Chinese cabbage and mango
- ½ head Chinese cabbage
- 2 chicken filets
- 1 mango peeled and in small cubes
- 3 spring onions cut into rings
- large handful of cashewnuts roasted and chopped
- 2 carrots grated
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp fresh ginger grated
- ½ tsp lemon grass grated
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 red chili pepper seeds removed and chopped finely
- Poach the chicken for 10 minutes in boiling water with salt. Leave to cool while you prep the rest of the salad
- Cut the Chinese cabbage in small strips and mix with the mango cubes, spring onions and carrot.
- Make the dressing by adding all ingredients together and mix well. Taste and adjust with pepper and salt to taste
- Once the chicken is cooled, pull it apart with two forks or cut into cubes. Mix through the salad.
- Mix the salad with the dressing and sprinkle the cashew nuts over it. Serve immediately.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.