Refreshing Rhubarb Cocktail with Limoncello
Today we’re sharing a delightful and refreshing recipe for a rhubarb cocktail with a twist of tangy limoncello. This vibrant and invigorating drink is perfect for summer gatherings, adding a burst of flavor to any occasion. Join us as we dive into the world of rhubarb and limoncello and discover the steps to create this tantalizing beverage.
Match made in heaven
I am not a big fan of alcoholic drinks (except for wine) but I like to make an exception for limoncello. It is sweet, it is tangy, it is delicious and perfect to pair with the rhubarb. Limoncello is also rather populair in cocktails such as the lemon drop martini or the limoncello mojito and I’m sure there are many more.
Rhubarb is of course rather tart and the tartness of the rhubarb combines perfectly with the flavors of the limoncello. Especially now that it is rhubarb season you will want to make this delicious rhubarb mixture.
Ingredients for the rhubarb cocktail with limoncello
We made this rhubarb cocktail after having first made a rhubarb chutney and a rhubarb crumble so we had some rhubarb juice left over. But if not you will need the following ingredients:
- rhubarb stalks
- ice cubes
- fresh lemon juice
- limoncello liqueur
- optional: sparkling water
- lemon slices (for garnish)
Step-by-Step Recipe Instructions
To start making the rhubarb cocktail you first have to prepare the homemade rhubarb syrup recipe.
- You prepare the rhubarb syrup by cooking the chopped rhubarb and you add the sugar, water and the rhubarb to a medium saucepan on medium heat. Let it simmer until the rhubarb softens and the sugar disappears. Strain it through a sieve and let it cool until you’re ready to use.
- Once you’re ready to serve combine the rhubarb syrup with the fresh lemon juice and the limoncello in a cocktail shaker. Shake well so everything blends together nicely.
- Fill a cocktail glass with ice cubes and pour the rhubarb mixture over the ice. You can drink it like that or you can add some sparkling water for a different flavor.
- Decorate the glass with a lemon slice if you want.
Serving and Presentation Tips
Of course there are many variations you can make to this delicious cocktail. You can enhance the rhubarb flavor by serving it with a rhubarb stalk as a stirrer. You can make it into a gin cocktail by adding a bit of gin or you can make a strawberry rhubarb cocktail. That’s kind of a classic combination anyway. So delicious.
A totally different flavor you will get by adding a little bit of rosemary syrup. Not too much as it can overpower quickly but just a little bit can be an interesting twist. You can add more citrus juice or fresh lime juice if you feel like it needs a bit more sour taste.
Rhubarb to me has quite a unique flavor and while some consider rhubarb to be very sour you will find that this tangy cocktail is everything but sour.
You can add various things to the glass also to make it more interesting. You can add a lemon wheel, the rhubarb stalk I mentioned earlier or how about a rosemary twig, if you’re using the rosemary syrup.
Enjoying the Rhubarb Cocktail
Of course however you want to make this delicious rhubarb cocktail in the end it is all about the experience. It’s the perfect drink for warm summer days, parties in the backyard or private parties for two.
While rhubarb is only available in the early summer, you make some ahead of time to enjoy for the whole summer season. You can easily freeze the leftover rhubarb syrup so you can enjoy it later. If you freeze it in an ice cube container you always have a ready quantity available whenever you need it.
It’s perfect for any number of summer cocktails. You can make a rhubarb margarita with it or a rhubarb gin or a rhubarb lemon fizz or just a non alcoholic pink lemonade. All is possible!
Love rhubarb? Also check out these recipes
Rhubarb Cocktail with limoncello
- 400 ml rhubarb syrup
- 100 ml limoncello
- Juice of ½ lemon + a slice to decorate
- ice cubes
- Optional: sparkling water
- Place the rhubarb syrup in a measuring cup and mix with the limoncello. Add lemon juice as desired. You can use a cocktail shaker if you prefer.
- Fill glasses with ice cubes and pour your rhubarb-limoncello mix over them.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.