Quinoa salad with feta and beetroot
It seems there are people out there who do not like beetroot (but than I suspect that would be true of virtually every single ingredient out there) and I can’t really understand why. Despite the fact that beet tends to color heavily – something to take into account when cutting them – I totally love them. I didn’t when I was younger. My mum just made them out of a jar with potatoes. Not disgusting but certainly not a meal you’d like to wake up for in the middle of the night!
The best way to eat beetroot is when you buy them fresh and than roast in the oven.. But fresh, raw, beetroot is not always easy to find here so in which case the precooked variety will do. And quite frankly; this quick salad would not be half as quick if you had to roast the beets first right? The salad is a variation to the spelt salad I made earlier. Due to adding the feta and by using a different dressing the taste is completely different. O and adding quinoa instead of spelt helps too! 😉
Quinoa salad with feta and beetroos
- 150 gr quinoa
- 50 gr feta to taste - or smoked chicken
- 100 gr pomegranate seeds
- 1,5 precooked beetroot
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp of aioli
- sweet chili sauce about 1 tbsp
- bit of lemonjuice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp oil
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions (usually about 15 minutes) with a little salt. Leave to drain and cool.
- Roast the pinenuts in a dry frying pan and set aside. Crumble the feta or cut the chicken
- Grate the beetroot coarsely and put into a large bowl. As soon as the quinoa is cooled down enough add the beetroot and the pomegranate. Add the largest part of your feta in at this point as well. keep some behind for garnish
- Make a dressing by mixing the ingredients. Make sure you add whatever is needed to complement the taste of the aioli. Mine was homemade so that will be a different taste from storebought. Taste after each addition if it needs anything else. Too sour? Add a little bit of honey or a little more of the chili sauce
- Put a little bit of your quinoa in a small bowl and add a tiny bit of the dressing and taste if they go well together. If they do you can ad the rest of the dressing to the quinoa. Sprinkle with the rest of the feta and the roasted pinenuts
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.