Last Monday we started a new whole30. Our fifth if I am counting this correctly. It’s the only way of eating that makes sense to me. Or let’s rephrase: it’s the only way that makes sense when I want to do a ‘reset’ of our eating habits. Which suck at times. It turns out that being around food all day long is not always the best for your health. It would be if we would only be shooting really healthy cookbooks. Like the ones that are coming up in the next few weeks. But those are not the only ones; we’ve done books with only cakes or a mix of comfort food with decadent desserts and the like. You get where I am going with this… 🙂
And while I love doing what I do, maintaining a healthy eating balance is sometimes tricky. Plus I have a tendency to overeat on the bad stuff, so doing a whole30 once in a while works for me. It’s not a diet, I don’t have to count endless calories and it makes me feel fabulous after those 30 days. And every time we finish I say that we should be eating like this always. It just never happens. Or it hasn’t until now. But who knows…
It’s funny but by now I seem to have converted quite a few people and those people have actually adopted the lifestyle and are sticking to it for the most part, which is what I should be doing. I should follow their lead! Now this salad is by no means whole30-approved but I had it lying around so figured I might as well share it. It’s delicious and you could potentially leave out the pasta and make it whole30 approved. In fact – now that I think about it – I can see an alternative version forming in my head. So stay tuned for that… 🙂 I will be posting more whole30 recipes in the coming 30 days so you’ll be seeing those for sure. Even the dude is thinking up healthy but dude worthy whole30 stuff.
Want to know more about the whole30? Check out the site of Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, the founders of the program.
Or dive straight into whole30 approved recipes here on the site
Pasta salad with broccoli
- 150 gr (mini) penne
- 250 gr broccoli
- 200 gr chicken filet
- 2 stock cubes
- 150 gr cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- 4 tbsp of mayonaise
- 2 tbsp of basil oil
- 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- Put a pot with water on and add the two stockcubes. As soon as it boils add the chicken fillet and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and leave to cool. As soon as it is cold enough you pull the chicken apart either with your hands or with a fork.
- In the meantime you cook the pasta according to the instruction on the package and leave to cool. Cut the broccoli into small florets and briefly cook them for about 4 minutes in boiling water. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Combine penne, broccoli and the chicken in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes (either cut in half or in quarters)
- Make the dressing by combining the ingredients and mix this with the salad. Sprinkle with fresh basil before serving