Oatmeal with orange and coconut milk
If asked would you say you are the breakfast kind of person or not? Breakfast is hot at the moment (or maybe it has always been hot) and here in the Netherlands that is proven by a couple of new cookbooks that recently came out on the sole subject of breakfast. I’ve always been a breakfast kind of girl and I cannot imagine ever running out the door without breakfast. Granted… at the moment there is not a lot of “running” going on anywhere and I don’t even get out of the door (haha) but still I do like my breakfast every morning.
In this case that means that Tom has to make breakfast for me as I am a little handicapped and especially in the morning when I am guaranteed to be stuck in bed while he does the things that need doing in the morning. We did sort of establish some kind of routine; he wakes up and comes downstairs to make coffee.
He than sits on the sofa (never know when it would be a couch or when a sofa? Sofa sounds so official.. I think I like couch better..) with his iPad and plays a game while I check my phone for the latest and greatest news on social media, my blog etc. Which let me to think: Imagine breaking a leg or being otherwise stuck to a bed in the time and age of no phones or social media! Yes, I can read a book but I don’t always feel like reading and there is no better way to kill the time by blogging or looking at social media stuff. Not always useful but definitely a time killer!
Anyway, after the coffee Tom makes me breakfast which is usually yogurt and granola with some fruit. For some reason he always struggles with making oatmeal so this one I had to tell him what to do. It was a little later and I was in the wheelchair next to the stove… 🙂 I never really measure things for oatmeal but this time had to tell him how much milk goes in and how much oats. The result is quite delicious.
I’ve used coconut and rice milk but you can make this with regular milk if you prefer. I definitely prefer the coconut as that gives an entirely different flavor to the oats and works lovely with the oranges and such…
Coconut oatmeal with oranges, nuts and seeds
- 250 ml of coconut-rice milk
- 40 gr rolled oats
- 1 tbsp gojiberries
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds and hazelnuts
- Place the milk with the oats in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, Turn the heat down and let it slowly simmer for a few minutes. Add the goji berries and the cranberries as soon as it boils and leave to soak until done.
- Segment the orange by peeling it completely with a sharp knife, also removing the membrane around the parts. Using the same sharp knife cut out the wedges so you have no skin left around the oranges.
- Safe the juice too.
- Put the oatmeal into a bowl, add the orange segments and the juice and sprinkle the seeds and hazelnuts on top. Eat right away.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.