I’ve been on an autumn and winter veggies roll lately with pumpkin, salsify, Brussels sprouts and of course kale. Traditionally we eat a lot of kale in the Netherlands mashed with potatoes and served with a ‘rookworst’ (smoked sausage). Totally delicious and perfect for the colder days but sometimes I want something a little different and quite frankly I think having mashed anything for lunch is a little on the heavy side.
I had been testing out various juices in the morning with a fellow blogger, from my slow juicer, so wanted a salad for lunch. I had a big bag of kale in the fridge so that seemed the perfect thing to use for a kale salad.
However… Have you ever eaten kale raw? Not the best of tastes right? Or at least I don’t think so but I had seen a couple of kale salads on Pinterest, so figured there must be a way to make it edible. And so I found a recipe by Gimme some oven that mentioned massaging the kale for a minute with oil and salt. Now massaging my vegetables is not something I normally do but I was intrigued and it sounded interesting so before I knew it I was massaging my kale into submission and it worked!!
Magically that dark green was transformed from tough to crunchy and delicious. I paired it with blue cheese, almonds and tomatoes and voila, a delicious lunch!Print
Kale salad with blue cheese
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Salads
- 3 tbsp good olive oil
- 250 gr kale
- handful of cherry tomaotes
- 100 gr blue cheese
- 50 gram almond slivers, toasted
- Cut the kale finely if you have the whole plant. Put into a large bowl with the olive oil and some salt and massage the oil into the leaves for about a minute or until the leaves become softer.
- Mix with the tomatoes and put into plates
- Sprinkle the almonds over the top and crumble the blue cheese over it.