Carrot tomato soup
Soup. I can never get enough of it. Ideal for a quick meal during the week, Ideal to get rid of vegetable leftovers and ideal for a light meal. How many reasons do you need to make this soup? Non right? It’s full of vegetables so it cannot get any healthier really. Well if you leave out the hot cross buns I had together with this that is… 🙂
Carrot tomato soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1¼ kg carrots sliced
- 250 g floury potatoes diced
- 5 bay leaves fresh or dried
- 500 g carton passata
- 750 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 tbsp sugar caster or granulated
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 250 ml whole milk
- Put the oil, onions and celery in your largest saucepan and cook gently until softened. Add the carrots and potatoes for a few mins, then add all the remaining ingredients, apart from the milk, with 1 litre water. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 mins, then uncover and simmer for 20-30 mins.
- Fish out the bay leaves and whizz the soup with a hand blender. Add the milk and as much water as you need. Season to taste, warm through and serve with the Cheesy hot cross buns (see 'goes well with'). Can be made and chilled up to 2 days ahead – or freeze for 1 month, then reheat gently
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.
Did you make this recipe?Mention @simoneskitchen or tag #simoneskitchen!
I love tomato soup. It is one of those soups that are not just cold-weather soups you can have it slightly chilled on warm spring day! I like that very much!
O yes! I love chilled tomato soup as well.
I only like cold soups in the hot Australian summer but it’s soon to be winter and nothing would please me more tonight than a bowl of this carrot and tomato soup. It looks thick and full of flavor.
Ah yes you’re going into the colder months… Although I do wonder how cold your winters are? Possibly not as cold as ours I’m guessing…
I would not want to leave out those buns – they look like the perfect accompaniment. Lovely and tasty looking soup – definitely going on my list of recipes to try!
Yes those buns are totally perfect with this soup so definitely keep them in!
Oh, this is so perfect for this one minute warm the other minute cold weather!
Great looking soup! Love the combo of carrots and tomatoes — this must be such a tasty soup! But leave out the buns? Never! 😉