Hot cross buns are mostly known for their sweet nature and although I had never made them before in either sweet or savoury versions I saw the recipe for this in the Good Food magazine and I could not resist making it! I was making a recipe for soup and this one was perched right on top of the other recipe. It was just meant to be!
It did not require a lot of thinking on my part.. I ofcourse made a mistake in following the recipe, and the end result is that it has a bit more cheese in them than it should be , but hey you can never really have enough cheese in anything right? The buns are quite heavy and if you have them with soup, like we did; one bun is really more than enough. Eat them the next day under the grill and with some good butter and it’s all you need!
Hot Cross Buns with cheese
Good but rather heavy buns. I used twice as much parmesan cheese as in the below.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Bread
- 700 gr flour type 00, plus 5 tbsp extra for making the crosses and some for kneading
- 3 x 7gr sachets dry active yeast
- 500 ml warm full fat milk
- 140 gr cheddar, grated
- 5 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tsp salt
- Mix the flour, the yeast and 2 tsp of salt in a large bowl. Make a hole in the middle, pour in the milk and mix with a wooden spoon. use your hands afterwards to make a soft dough. Knead for about ten minutes and then put back in the bowl.
- Cover lightly with a piece of plastic brushed with oil and move it away somewhere warm until doubled in size. Takes about 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted top and knead most of the cheddar through the dough. Dust a baking tray with flour and make 12 round buns and put on the tray with 2-3 cm space in between. Cover lightly again with foil brushed with oil and leave to triple in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Mix the 5 tbsp of flour for the crosses with the parmesan cheese and 5 tbsp of water. Mix this well and put into a piping bag (no nozzle needed) Cut the tip of the disposable bag and pipe crosses on each bun.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar on top and bake this for 20-25 minutes till golden brown