Making your own popcorn (with chili and chocolate)- so simple and so satisfying!
Can you believe it? It seems just minutes ago that we celebrated the start of 2017 and for some weird reason it is now all of a sudden almost the end of it. Already… I guess part of it is due to getting older. Lol… It least to me it feels that time flies by and you’re old and wrinkled before you know it. Geeezzzz, that sounds depressing and I had no intention of making this a depressing post at all!
Because I love the festive season. Cold and rainy outside and warm and cosy indoors. One of the things Tom and I love to do from time to time is to lounge on the couch and watch movies/Netflix. Of course you can buy pop corn or other snacks to enjoy while doing that but have you ever made popcorn yourself? I have to confess that it took me many years before I attempted it. I don’t know why, but for some reason I figured it might be difficult. Well, let me tell you: it is not. In fact it is so simple, it’s ridiculous.
In fact the only thing you really need to be aware of is that you CANNOT LIFT THE LID.. Even though it is incredibly tempting to do when you hear the popping sounds in the pan. You just want to lift that lid and peek inside. But if you do the popcorn will fly all over the place. Other than that it is dead simple.
Making your own popcorn
- 50 gr popcorn corn
- 50 gr butter
- 1 tbsp chili flakes or more if you like it spicy
- 1/2 tbsp of seasalt
- bar of dark chocolate (for grating)
- oil for frying
- Take a pan with a lid that has a thick bottom. Heat the oil and add the corn. Wait until it starts to pop. Don't lift that lid! Don't put the stove too high as you don't want the popcorn to burn. Once the popping starts to slow down and stops remove from the heat.
- In the meantime take a small saucepan and melt the butter. Add the chili flakes and stir.
- Once the popcorn is done place into a large bowl. Drizzle the chili butter on top and shake to combine it all. Grate the chocolate over the top and add some extra salt. Shake until all combined!