While on the whole30 we’re not supposed to eat any snack or junkfood. So not even paleo approved hamburgers or pizza. The first time that we were doing the whole30 I kind of missed that fact and I than made a delicious cauliflower pizza. The reasoning behind the ‘no-go’ is that you have to get rid of the need or craving for junkfood and if you’re just going to substitute your junkfood with paleo junkfood, the message might not get across in your brain. 🙂 I can understand the reasoning behind it but in my cauliflower pizza situation I argued that I don’t really like regular pizza, so it wasn’t a junkfood for me.. But anyway, I am not sharing a paleo pizza with you today.
I had to think of this recipe when I received a tweet from @style030 if I happened to have any recipes for snacks. And the first thing that came to mind where these delicious crackers. I made them last year when I was taking photos for the cookbook of Marjolein Dubbers which is called ‘Clever Snacks’ (in Dutch) . I had some doubt about snacks with almond meal but even Tom liked it and ate most of them… 😉 Ideal also for taking with you on the road. They taste pretty good without anything on them, but you can eat them with sundried tomatoes or the tapenade I used here from Lampascioni onions… It makes me hungry just looking at these photos!.
Crackers with Italian herbs
- 200 gr almond flour ( or another nut flour of your choice)
- 2 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- a good amount of Keltic seasalt or regular seasalt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp of water
- Preheat the oven to 150 C
- Put all dry ingredients together in a bowl and stir together well.
- In a separate bowl add the oliveoil and the water and mix this well, preferably with a mixer of some sort. Add this to the dry ingredients and knead it to a firm doughball.
- Put a piece of bakingpaper on your kitchen top and put the dough on top. Add another sheet of baking paper on top and use a rolling pin to roll out to about 3 mm thickness.
- Remove the top part, slide it onto a baking tray and with a sharp knife cut squares of about 5 m in the dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes. Pay close attention as it can suddenly go very fast. The crackers will be done if they have brown edges
Recipe by Marjolein Dubbers