Under this roof it’s all about health and vegetables lately.
First I have suffered for thirty days in which I had to eat like some cro magnon man and now it’s still prime time for veggies and fruities.
When the misses is on a diet roll, this Dude has to roll along and suffer the healthy consequences.
Yep, when the misses is into health food, I have to join in or just get out. And though I’m almost entirely cheesefree and absolutely bananafree for all my life, the Misses doesn’t think that counts as a diet. How’s that? Eating no bananas is a kind of diet in itself, isn’t it?
A couple of years back I stumbled on a diet which I managed to keep for several weeks. It was called the cucumber diet. In this diet program you could eat everything except for cucumber. A diet that was perfectly fitted for me.
Anyway, with all these diets and ‘yay for veggies’ vibes in the house, it becomes increasingly more difficult to ccok up a big peace of meat or sling something in the fryer. In these dark hours of DudeFood ness we have to fall back on quick snacks. Something like a grilled sandwich for instance. Toasted sandwiches are easy, quick an deliciously good.
They become even better when you pimp your sandwich with some dudey and masculine ingredients. A good grilled sandwich is a delicacy at every moment of the day.
Here you have a recipe for a spicey and manly grilled sandwich.
Grilled Jalapeno sandwich
- 2 slices of manly bread (sourdough or wholegrain will do)
- 1 tbsp green pesto (Pesto Genovese)
- 1 slice of good ripe cheese
- 2 thin strips of streaky bacon
- 1 smoked paprika (those smoked ones you buy in a jar)
- 1/2 Jalapeno, thinly sliced lengthwise and deseeded
- Get the smoked paprika from the jar and make sure you dry it somewhat with paper towel.
- Distribute the pesto evenly on one slice of bread
- Put the following on the pesto side: the smoked paprika, cheese, thinly sliced jalapeno and the streaky bacon. Finish with the second slice of bread.
- Grill the sandwich for about four minutes in a toaster or grillpan (when you use a grillpan, turn the sandwich after two minutes)
- Plate up the sandwich with some very good ketchup and enjoy the flavors of creamyness, combined with spiceyness.