Salsify soup with celeriac
I am known to be rather impatient. If I have an idea in my head I want to immediately follow up on it and do it. I think they had me in mind when they came up with the term ‘Just do it’. So… what you maybe do not know is that I have been running SImone’s Kitchen on one admin area but with two domains. To do that I have used WPML translation plugin and that worked fine but there are a couple of things I did not like. Plus I felt the site was slowing down over time. So just this week I decided it would be a good idea to change it and split the two sites in two separate domains.
Not anything you would see but more a behind the scenes thing that I changed. So it all went smoothly and you’re looking at a brand new domain here. However… as always with things like this; something went wrong too. A lot of the categories on the posts disappeared so I will need to put those back manually.. Plus on simoneskitchen.nl the admin area slowed down to ridiculous levels. So that needs to be figured out. Hate it when that happens and I don’t know what is causing it.
O well, I’ll figure it out eventually.
For now I am sharing this delicious creamy soup with you. It’s with that pesky vegetable salsify. One of those forgotten vegetables. It’s so forgotten that I realised I have no recipe on the site using salsify. Time to change that. Now the thing with salsify is that you have to prepare upfront. Make sure you wear gloves while cleaning them. Prepare a large tray with water and lemon to put them in straight away after cleaning.
Lay a newspaper on your kitchen counter to collect the rubbish or your kitchen counter is doomed to a sticky mess. The thing with salsify is that it starts to ooze a milky sticky substance, as soon as you start cleaning it. That is the main nuisance of this root. But if you can get past that, it is quite delicious and especially in this soup it is perfect.
Salsify soup with celeriac
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion
- 1 fennel bulb
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 500 gr salsify
- 120 ml 1/2 cup double cream
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 275 gr celeriac
- few slices bacon
- Clean all the vegetables and cut into manageable chunks. Keep the salsify in water with lemon until ready to use.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the fennel, celeriac and salsify and bake for a minute or so.
- Add the stock and cook for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft
- Add the double cream and use a stickblender to puree the soup till you have a smooth creamy soup. Add more cream if needed.
- Fry the slices of bacon until crispy and crumble over the soup before serving
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.