The easiest dessert for Christmas
I know we all have the pressure of time and especially during these last few days before christmas, things can get slightly out of hand. Christmas menu planning, grocery shopping to make sure you have everything in house for the final meal and let’s not forget the actual cooking. Maybe not all of us have to do the cooking ourselves but still… loads of pressure to get loads of things done!
Now this might not be the fanciest of desserts out there, but it is festive enough, it is incredibly easy, requires hardly any time at all and if you are looking for a last minute failsafe dessert then this would be just the thing to make! It is based on a recipe that I saw in Good Food although the original version requires you to make your own meringue. That is still an option, but since this is meant to be very quick; I used storebought meringue. Meringue in general is not something you can find in our supermarkets if it is not during christmas time, but since we’re close to that time (and how close! Can’t believe it’s next week already!!) we have plenty of meringue options in the supermarket. Not as good as when you make it yourself obviously, but still tasty and if you use one to crumble in between your dessert it makes it even better.
So what do you need for this dessert? You need whipping cream, lemon curd, fresh raspberries (or other fruits) and some meringues. You can sweeten the whipping cream but since the lemon curd also has quite a high sugar content I didn’t do that. The dessert itself is already quite sweet without adding extra sugar, but feel free to add to your own taste.
You can serve this in little bowls, but serving it in a glass like the one in the first photo makes it more festive, plus you can see the various layers.
Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, add lemon curd to your own taste and sugar if you want. Carefully combine the two without overwhipping it. In a glass make little layers of the cream, raspberries and crumbled meringue and top with one whole meringue and some fruits. Sprinkle with some icing sugar and voila; the quickest dessert you could possibly make!!
Easy christmas dessert
- 250 ml whipping cream
- lemon curd you can use other flavors if you have no lemon curd available
- meringue - cookies
- 125 gr raspberries you can use other fruits
- This dessert looks best when served in fancy glasses so make sure you have 4 of them lined up.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks and flavor the cream with the lemon curd to your taste. You can add sugar to the cream before whipping but due to the meringue crumbles and the lemon curd the cream will be sweet enough, so I would advice not to.
- If the flavor of the cream is to your liking, crumble a few of your meringue and make layers in the glass of cream, meringue crumbles and raspberries. End with a few raspberries on top for decoration and dust with icing sugar.
- If you have leftover meringue use that for decoration too
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.