Cod with red chicory, black quinoa and hazelnuts
Yesterday was the official kickof of the I quit sugar challenge… But it really only starts on monday. The days leading up to monday are for preparing things, cooking some staples in the weekend and more such things. Now as luck would have it, I will be in France from Monday to Wednesday by invitation of Nespresso… And – you guessed it – there are some fine dinners coming up too. So I have decided I will start on Thursday instead of Monday. It makes no sense to start off on the wrong food and there is no way I am going to bother a 3 star Michelin chef with my sugar addictio.. 😉 You’ll no doubt hear all about the trip later too!
It remains a constant struggle.. that ‘watching what you eat’ thing… But more about that tomorrow… For now I have a delicious and very healthy dish for you with red chicory salad, cod baked on the skin and black quinoa. If you want a vegetarian option than it would be just as good without the fish. I loved the salad. I particularly like the quinoa here.
You could replace it with another grain if you’re not a fan of quinoa but I’m guessing it will change the flavor too so I’d stick to the quinoa. It was my first time using black quinoa and not sure if is has a different taste from the other varieties but it did feel a little firmer, but that could just be a cooking thing too. I’m gonna try and test them all at the same time to see if there is a difference or not.
Salad with black quinoa, hazelnuts, chicory and cod
- few pieces of chicory you can use red or white. I just think the red is prettier
- Piece of cod with skin
- 125 gram black quinoa
- lettuce of your choice
- handful of hazelnuts
- fig date vinegar or if you don't have that a good balsamic
- Cut the chicory in thin strips and cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package.
- Roast the hazelnuts in a dry pan and leave to cool on kitchenpaper.
- Bake the cod with salt and pepper and make sure not to overcook the fish!
- Make a little bed of the quinoa and put the cod on top. Chop the hazelnuts a little smaller and mix with the chicory and lettuce. If the lettuce is too big than chop it up a little too. We used a really small kind of beetroot leaves. Delicious but not always easy to find in a regular store, so use for instance rocket or lamb's lettuce. Lightly dress the salad with the fig date vinegar and mix it through. Put the lettuce on top of the cod and serve immediately.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.
Lovely combo of flavors! I really like fish/seafood in salads. Gorgeous dish — thanks for this.
This looks simply delicious!