Do you know how many people tell me that they cannot take good photos because they don’t have the space, don’t have the props or don’t have the expensive camera I have… It’s a surprising number I can tell you, so obviously in my current situation I am kind of proving them all wrong. Well ok I still do have that expensive camera but trust me if I tell you that I know photographers far better than myself that certainly own a far cheaper camera, so that is no excuse either.. 🙂
This picture, I can tell you, was taken from my bed. It was shortly after I had come out of the hospital and wheelchairs where still far from my future at that point and I could either shoot from the bed or in the bed. I had done – at that point in time – my first commercial shoot from the bed. (move the bed away from the window, position a table in between the bed and the window, position tripod and shoot…)
But this dish is – let’s face it – simplicity itself and I did not feel like moving half the furniture (or in fact have someone else move half the furniture) to get a shot of a mash. No matter how good it tastes.
My little rolling bedside table has one of those plastic coverings that has a bit of a marbled effect and doesn’t look al that bad, so I cleared out that tiny table and that is how I took the shot. No, it would not be my preferred method but it’s not too bad a picture either, so you see, you do not need a lot of space, a lot of props or a lot of backgrounds to take a foodphoto.. 🙂Print
Cauliflower puree with bacon crumble
- Yield: 4
- Category: Sidedish
- 500 gr potatoes
- 500 gr cauliflower
- bit of butter
- splash of milk
- 100 gr bacon cubes
- few slices of bacon
- Clean the potatoes and the cauliflower and put them together into a large pan. Add water and bring to the boil until both are cooked.
- In the meantime fry your bacon cubes in the pan and reserve some of the fat.
- Fry the bacon slices and leave these to drain on kitchen paper.
- Mash the potatoes and cauliflower together and make it creamier by adding the milk and the butter. Add enough so it has the right consistency for you.
- Stir through the bacon cubes and crumble the bacon slices over the top