Change of heart.. and rhubarb season
Rhubarb cake with pistacio and oranges
I can be weird… No scratch that.. I AM weird (but wonderful..lol) but I tend to have a hard time making decisions that are about my blog. Now I told you in my last post, not even that long ago, that I had decided to get rid of In Simone’s Kitchen and start a new one called Sprouts and Spoons. And while in theory that doesn’t sound too bad, in retrospect I was too hasty.
You see: my blog and I, we have a history. A pretty long one too if you count blogging years like cat years. One year stands for at least nine I reckon. But even in normal human years, 8 years is a pretty decent time for blogging. I know there are blogs out there that are way older and I know there are far far more blogs that are younger. Most people don’t last past the age of one. So in those terms: Simone’s kitchen is a wrinkled old lady.
So how can I suddenly discard that lovely lady and pretend she is no longer there? I felt bad. Weird huh? But I can actually feel really bad about decisions I make without thinking. One of my problems is that I am too spontaneous (or erratic but that doesn’t sound so nice, does it?) and I tend to make decisions without giving it much thought. Not all decisions. There are those that take me months and monts but there are those that are done in a heartbeat.
And now I feel sorry. So instead of doing what I thought I would do I will just give In Simone’s Kitchen a bit of a makeover. Add some new categories and delete some old ones. Shuffle stuff around and voila! It almost feels like a brand new blog too.
Hope you are not too angry about my going and coming back and just pretend it never happened.. 🙂
Rhubarb pistachio cake
- 250 gr butter, at roomtemperature
- 250 gr sugar
- 5 eggs
- 125 gr all purpose flour
- 125 gr almond flour
- 1 tsp bakingpowder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- juice of 1 orange and zest of 1 orange
- 250 gr rhubarb
- 80 gr chopped pistachio
- Cake tin of 24 cm diameter
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Place the butter and the sugar in a bowl and whisk until well combined and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one. Leave to whisk for a bit more. Add the vanilla essence and the orange juice.
- Mix both flour types in another bowl with the baking powder, the salt and ginger. Add the flour mixture bit by bit into the egg mixture and whisk to combine well.
- Cut the rhubarb into smaller pieces and add that into the cake batter together with the chopped pistachio. Add the orange zest as well.
- Cover the tin with baking powder or grease really well. Stir the batter and put into the tin.
- Bake the cake for roughly 55 minutes in the preheated oven and check halfway through if it does not brown to quickly. If it does cover with aluminiumfoil. Check with a wooden skewer if the cake is cooked in the center.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely before cutting