Quinoa breakfast bowl with nuts and banana
Quinoa bowl for two
Time for a quick and nutritious breakfast. Did you know that quinoa is filled with protein? If you’re following a vegetarian diet this is a great way to start the day with a dose of protein. Quinoa has all the essential amino acids and on top of that it is gluten free. And in a lot of countries it is now also available locally grown and produced which saves food mileage.
When you use quinoa it is a good idea to wash it thoroughly beforehand removing the saponins that coat the seeds. If you don’t wash it you will get a foam on top of the quinoa which can taste slightly bitter.
As a vegetarian it is sometimes a challenge to eat enough omega 3 fatty acids and while quinoa has only a little bit, every bit counts right? On top of that it is also filled with calcium, magnesium, manganese, vitamine B, E and of course dietary fibers. All in all a great choice for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I sometimes get people pulling funny faces if I tell them I like quinoa for breakfast, so here is the proof that it can be done and is quite delicious. I tend to cook a big batch of quinoa at the beginning of the week. This keeps in the fridge for about a week or you can freeze it in batches and take out when you need it.
Quinoa breakfast bowl
- 100 gram cooked quinoa, cooled
- handful of mixed roasted nuts (unsalted of course)
- Grated coconut, about a tablespoon per bowl
- 1 banana
- agave syrup
- coconut yogurt
- Start by pouring the coconut yogurt (of course you can substitute with regular yogurt or soy yogurt if you want) and add the quinoa in the middle of the bowl.
- Divide the rest of the ingredients over it and serve immediately