Lettuce and cucumber salad – Donna Hay #13
Back in the day when we would eat lettuce at home, it would always be a regular butter lettuce. That was before the time when you all of a sudden could buy lettuce in a bag and before the time that everyone started eating iceberg lettuce. I don’t like iceberg lettuce. it is watery and uninteresting in taste. You make me happy with arugula, but also with virtually all other types of lettuce out there. And thank goodness they are appearing in more and more varieties these days.
Gone are the days of iceberg lettuce!
The recipe is ofcourse ridiculously simple (but it is Donna Hay #13) but also ridiculously good, Take a good type of lettuce. I used butter lettuce but little gem would do well or anything that resembles those kinds. I think arugula might be a bit too strong for this dressing so stick with the more neutral ones.
Lettuce and cucumber salad with lemon dressing
The original recipe uses ricotta salata, which is a pressed firm, salted ricotta which you can find in some delicatesse shops.
- 1 butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 70 gr shaved parmesan
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- To make the lemon dressing, place the lemon juice, oil, mustard and sugar in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Place the lettuce, cucumber and parmesan in a bowl, drizzle with the lemon dressing and toss to combine.
Recipe by Donna Hay