I peer into the oven, a little worried that my bread will not be coming out as I had intended it to. Hmm, still undercooked. I close the door again, busy myself with cleaning the kitchen after having made quite a bit of a mess doing various dishes at the same time. Open the door of the oven again, just a crack and it’s starting to look better.
When I saw the recipe for a Jalapeno cranberry skillet bread on E-curry by my good friend Soma just this morning, I just knew I had to try this one. It looked so good and it looked so pretty too on Soma’s photos! Ofcourse I did not have a skillet so I figured in terms of cast iron it was either my Dutch oven or my aebleskiver pan. Now the latter would have been a very interesting experiment but I will leave that one for another time… Although mmm, while I’m writing this all sort of ideas pop into my head how I can make mini buns this way! Oooo, next on the to do list!
In the end baking the bread in the Dutch oven did work out but it was difficult getting it out in one piece since it was a little bit stuck to the bottom so I had to cut it in two. Still not a bad effort for my first skillet pan bread and totally delicious too. I might actually get myself a proper skillet when I find one in the right size and price.. 😉
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 150 gr all purpose flour
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 150 ml milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- I used a small Dutch Oven to bake this bread. A 20 cm pan makes about 1 fairly flat bread.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- In a bowl, sift the all purpose flour with baking powder, black pepper and salt.
- Pound the chipotle and the fresh cilantro/coriander leaves until it is coarse paste.
- Add the cranberries to the flour and toss for them to be coated.
- Whisk the milk, honey and eggs in a different bowl and stir in lightly with the flour mix. Add the paste of chipotle and cilantro/coriander. Add the melted butter and stir just until blended.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon oil to the Dutch oven and heat the pan over the stove top or in the oven until the oil shimmer and is really hot. When the dough is added to this, it should sizzle loud.
- Remove pan from the stove top or the oven and scrape half of the batter into the hot pan. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the center springs back when gently pressed. The bread should be golden brown and crispy at the edges.
- Turn the bread out onto a rack to cool and slice only when cooled.