Mille-feuille with dutch shrimps
So on to the next course or actually I definitely think that this is more a first course with a nice glass of champagne to get everyone in a festive mood. I am not too fond of the filodough that I used as the recipe calls for brushing the filodough with butter but either my filo was old (it had been in the freezer for a while) or I put on too much butter. In any case; I am not a big fan of filo and think that this would be much nicer with regular puff pastry. The filo, once baked is very brittle and it then becomes one of those snacks that will be all over everyone’s festive clothing because the whole thing breaks apart when you bit it! So it looks better then it is, I think or at least it has great potential, so I hope the puff pastry works out better. We’ll see how that goes.
The guacamole is made with creme fraiche which I have never done before but it works really well and gives it a good consistency and maybe a little less heavy then avocado only. It is seasoned with cilantro (coriander), chili pepper and some lime juice and ofcourse salt and pepper and together with the dutch shrimps and cherry tomatoes (I used really good and tasty tomatoes. You don’t want the watery kind. These are pomodori I think)
And it looks nice and festive too doesn’t it? I mean it has to taste good, ofcourse, that is the obvious part but I also like it when you have something that you can also present nicely too!
We hesitated a lot wether or not this would be a good amuse for christmas day. First it was a no, but then we figured it does have a nice freshness to it and would actually be perfect so the final verdict is that this is also going to stay. So for now; we have the Celeriac soup (which is gonna be a keeper!) and this amuse before that!
Also from the Dutch Deliciousmagazine!
Mille-feuille with dutch shrimps
- 75 gr butter
- 4 sheets of filodough 20 x 30 cm
- 1 tsp of cayennepepper or sharp hongarian paprikapowder
- 1 ripe avocado
- 100 ml creme fraiche
- 2 cm chili pepper seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander cilantro
- 2 tsp of limejuice
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 100 gr Dutch grey shrimps
- Prepare(30 mins) (can be done a few hours before) Heat the oven to 180C (360F). Melt the butter in a small saucepan on low. Put two sheets of filodough on a large cuttingboard and brush them with the melted butter. Put the other two sheets on top and also brush with the butter. Dust the sheets lightly with cayennepepper to form a little film on top. Don't overdo this!
- Cut the dough in 24 pcs of roughly 5 x 5 cm each. Put them next to eachother on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake them in the oven for about 9 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit. Mash the avocado meat with a fork and add the creme fraiche, chilipepper, coriander, lime and some salt. Cover the guacamole with foil and put in the fridge until further use. Cut the cherry tomatoes in thin slices, remove most of the soft insides and seeds and keep them cool until you're ready to use it.
- Finishing (10 mins): Put some guacamole on the baked filo. Put some shrimps on top and garnish with the cherry tomatoes. Cover with another filo square.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.