Mexican tortilla wrap
I sometimes wonder if I choose a recipe based on the fact that it is good to eat, or if I choose a recipe based on; is it good to shoot? Well maybe that is not entirely true; first and foremost I want to know if it is something I am going to enjoy, then I need to ask myself the question if I am going to be eating alone that night or if Tom is there. If he is, I need to make sure I don’t include any dishes that are cheese-heavy as he doesn’t like cheese. Not ANY kind of cheese!! Can you believe it??
The recipe for today I actually picked thinking he would be home (as I tend to make cheesy things when he isn’t home) only to find out that he was going to be late from work due to some kind of staff meeting… O well, the food tasted good anyway and I had more time to actually take some photos.
That is always easier when you don’t have a hungry boyfriend looking over your shoulder.
So for tonight it was going to be a mexican dinner.
I absolutely love all Mexican food. Mexico was actually the very first country we visited outside of Europe in 1997. I can still remember vividly! We had booked a trip with Traveltrend and the first week we would go and drive around in a VW Beetle and then the second week we had booked in a hotel in Cancun. We had no idea what Cancun was all about as that was before the time that we checked locations before booking… Had we known we might have picked another place maybe.Anyway; the week touring Yucatan was fantastic and the food was incredible too. I think it must have been then that I fell in love with Mexican food. It’s heavy and rich but soooo tasty!
The second week on the beach was fun too but Cancun really is a major tourist attraction and we had pretty bad weather on top of that. Little did we know that we had booked in the rainy season (september) and so we didn’t really have a lot of sunshine.
We still had a lot of fun though; we had met some great people along the way, so I think my stomach must have hurt from laughing. Plus we had so much exercise the first week, that all that food didn’t leave anything on! And yes, on these photos; that is Tom and myself 10 years ago!!
That one trip to Mexico was enough to light our travelbug and that hasn’t gone away since. The only thing we learned in that very first trip is to come better prepared and to check where we are going..:)
So back to Mexican food; It’s a lime and pepper chicken wrap with freshly made guacamole. Here is the recipe!
Lime and pepper mexican chicken wrap
- 4 skinless chicken breasts each cut into 6 strips
- zest and juice 2 limes
- 2 tsp black peppercorns coarsely crushed
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 to rtilla wraps
- 1 little Gem lettuce shredded
- 148 ml tub low-fat natural yogurt
- 1 avocado
- 2 to matoes
- hot chili powder
- Toss the chicken with the lime zest and juice, pepper, oil and a little salt. Cook on a griddle pan or barbecue for 6-8 minutes, turning untill evenly cooked and nicely browned.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave, following pack instructions. Spread a little guacamole over each tortilla, top with some lettuce and chicken, then drizzle over the yogurt. Roll up and enjoy.
- Mash the flesh of one ripe avocado in a bowl with a fork. Add 2 finely chopped tomatoes, 1/2-1 tsp hot chili powder (or you can use a fresh chilipepper which I did), then the juice of 1 lime or 1/2 lemon and a little salt and pepper. Stir everything together and serve.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.
I still had some fresh raspberries left so I made myself a little healty dessert with nonfat yogurt and fresh raspberries…. Hmmm… delicious!