Isn’t it weird how all that snow has suddenly disappeared? From being -8 C roughly during the day to now +10 or so. All in the space of two days… Nature never fails to surprise me, that is for sure! In the meantime our healthy living routine is going along nicely. Because it’s not a diet and because I don’t beat myself up for slipping every once in a while it feels natural and it feels good too (except for the fact that I’m having a serious cold at the moment, but that will pass too) plus I lost about 5 kilo in the process too. So no complaining. The bonus is that eating lots of veggies and lots of fruit, grains and other healthy stuff we actually feel a lot better too. And I say ‘we’ as Tom is in it this time too.
Every evening we go for an hour walk (at least) and that is quickly becoming our time together as there is no phone, no tv, no nothing to interfere with our talks. And we’ve kept it up for virtually all days of this month too despite the cold and despite the snow, so I’m quite proud of ourselves in seeing it through! The only thing that seems to suffer a little bit is my blogging. Not only here but both on De Glazen Vork and on Scribbles and Notes, it is somewhat quieter then my usual self. I’m still thinking it has something to do with overload in december! Lol…
Plus possibly the fact that I am soooooo looking forward to our trip next week (!!!!) to Laos and Cambodia that I can’t think of anything else… I will post a travel update every once in a while when I have internet in the hotel(s) on Scribbles and Notes, if you’re interested and will for sure post some other stuff once I’m back here. In the meantime I want to share this delicious and healthy vegetarian soup, which is very filling and perfect for this in between weather. I made a huge batch so will be having it again for lunch today (and probably tomorrow, unless I freeze it..)
Curried squash, lentil & coconut soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 butternut squash , peeled, deseeded and diced
- 200g carrots , diced
- 1 tbsp curry powder containing turmeric
- 100g red lentils
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 1 can reduced-fat coconut milk
- coriander and naan bread , to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the squash and carrots, sizzle for 1 min, then stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 min more. Tip in the lentils, the vegetable stock and coconut milk and give everything a good stir. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 15-18 mins until everything is tender.
- Using a hand blender or in a food processor, blitz until as smooth as you like. Season and serve scattered with roughly chopped coriander and some naan bread alongside.
And don’t forget to send in your homemade goodies for the photography challenge that runs from January till end of February!