Coconut icecream with roasted coconut
It’s no secret; I love ice cream. And ever since I discovered the hidden treasures of homemade icecream I am sold. I even started making my own popsicles this week too! (more on that in a later post)
My ice-cream maker has been doing overtime lately… The only disadvantage being that I need to freeze the container every time in between ice-creams. Making two in a row is not an option. Probably a good thing too or I would be the size of an elephant… 🙂 Last night we were having my father in law over for dinner and the theme was Asian food. I had on the menu rice paper spring rolls (recipe soon to follow!) with peanut-sauce, coconut shrimps, Thai chicken curry and for dessert the coconut ice-cream. I love my ice-cream to be yoghurt based. Not because of the lower calorie content but simply because I like the taste better. To me it goes perfect with summer. Fresh and slightly acidic. So when I saw the recipe for ice cream yogurt in my Steamy Kitchen cookbook I just knew that would be perfect as dessert for the asian dinner.
What I should have done is make the ice cream in the afternoon and freeze it. Because freshly turned it melts by looking at it. (any ice cream melts when you look at it, duh.. but this one just sooo much faster!) The original recipe called for coconut extract but I could not find that anywhere so I used regular coconutcream but not enough. There was a slight coconut taste but not enough.
Roasted coconut icecream with toasted coconut
- 875 gr Greek yogurt
- 150 gr sugar
- 100 ml coconut cream
- 20 gr Roasted shredded coconut
- Mix the yogurt and the sugar and add the coconut cream to taste. Cool the mixture well in the fridge before you put it into the icecream maker. At least an hour.
- As soon as it's cool turn it in the ice machine.
- Roast the coconut by putting it in a dry frying pan and roast until golden. Make sure not to burn it! Turn out onto a plate immediately to prevent it roasting any further.
- Once the icecream is made freeze for at least one or two hours in the freezer before eating.
- Serve with the roasted coconut on top and fresh fruit of your choice
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.