Of course I knew for a while that Alex and Ria were busy planning their own cookbook. For months they were having meetings, drank lots of coffee at pretty locations (everything in the name of work of course) and at some point the questions came if I wanted to take the photos for the book. I know that Alex’ had some doubts. Because the style they wanted for the book is not necessarily my ‘natural’ style but let’s be honest; there have been a lot of customers who wanted things that I might not have picked for myself. But the customer is king and I really did like the concept. “But it has to be very white and vague.” So far the trust Alex had in me… Lol.. 😉
I believe it all worked out in the end and the result is beautiful. But deliciously heavenly recipes from Alexandra and Ria, styling of the book by Ria and styling of the set by Alex. The book is sadly only in Dutch (but you never know..) but I will share on of the recipes with you that I think will do really well for christmas. Creamy salmon and spicy avocado.
And I know it tastes delicious as I have been tasting way too much of all the dishes during the shoot. Most of it we had for lunch or snacks in between… My life is hard sometimes… 🙂
Sushi with creamy salmon and spicy avocado
- 200 gram sushi rice
- 300-400 ml of water (depending on the rice)
- 2-3 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 1 avocado, ripe to eat
- 2 tsp wasabi (or more to taste)
- 2 sheets of nori
- 200 gram of fresh salmon filet cut into 1 cm cubes
- black sesameseeds
- soy sauce
- Check the packaging of the rice to see how long it needs to cook for and prepare accordingly.
- Leave the rice to stand for another ten minutes, with the lid on. Stir the rice vinegar through the rice. Leave to cool completely.
- Peel and crush the avocado and stir the wasabi through. It can be quite spicy as the rest of the ingredients are quite mild in flavor.
- Cut the nori sheets to small square pieces.
- get a small serving glass and start with a layer of nori. Wet your hands a bit and put a bit of rice on the nori. With a spoon, add some of the avocado on top of the rice. On top of that you put the salmon. Repeat the layers until the glass is full or the ingredients are finished. Finish with the salmon last. Sprinkle some black sesame seeds on top to finish. Either keep in the fridge until ready to serve or eat immediately. Drizzle some soy sauce over the top before serving.
Recipe from the book "Hemels"