Whenever I prepare chicken I tend to chose the more common methods such as grilling or baking. I don’t really do a lot of poaching. And that is a bit of a shame really as I can still vividly remember how delicious this coconut poached chicken was.
But that was one of the first times I ever poached a chicken and while I like the result I haven’t really done much of it since. Time to change that so when I saw the recipe from Annabel Langbein, I just knew I had to try this one too. The good thing about this little chicken is that it is multi purpose. In other words; if you poach a bit more than you really need you can also make a really delicious chicken salad with it. For on a sandwich (for instance) The recipe for that chicken salad will follow soon.
In the mean time summer has started here or at least now that I am writing this the sun is shining. I’ve been hanging around outdoors today while the cats thought it was the perfect timing to catch all the frogs in the neighbourhood… I’ve rescued one but the other one died on me. I put the one live one back into the water. I don’t know why they are hanging out in the gardens anyway. It’s not as if we have any water in the garden! And neither do our neighbors. Weird.
Not too clever those frogs…
And if you’re having a garden kind of day this is the perfect salad for it. I used cherries in the recipe because yay, it is cherry time, but you can replace it with grapes or peaches or whatever you like.
Chicken salad with orange dressing and cherries
Yield: 4-6 people
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 poached chicken filets (recipe below)
- 2 ripe avocado
- 150 gram halved and pitted cherries
- 75 gram almond shavings
- 6 hands of watercress/ spinach/arugula mixture
- bit of lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp of sunflower seed butter (or you can use almond butter or hazelnut butter)
- 60 ml orange juice
Poaching the chicken
- 4 star anis
- 1 tbsp of black peppercorns
- few slices of fresh ginger
- 1 spring onion, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp sesame oil (I didn't have any so left it out)
- Place the chicken into a saucepan so that it just fits. Don't leave too much space on the side. Add all spices and ingredients and add cold water until the chicken is submerged for about 5 centimeters. Put on the stove, bring to the boil and leave to simmer for about ten minutens. Leave the chicken to cool while you prepare the other things.
- For the dressing add all the ingredients together and stir until it is all dissolved and smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the chicken and the avocado in small pieces and add them with the cherries, almonds and lettuce into a bowl. Mix it all together with lemon juice, pepper and salt and sprinkle the dressin over it. Serve immediately.