Spicy flatbread with tabouleh – Donna Hay #16
I am back! What a wonderful weekend we had in Helsinki! We’ve been preparing for months for this workshop and it’s always a bit sudden when it than ends. Even though you know it is coming. After all the troubles we had in organizing everything (I’ll spare you the details) during the workshop everything went smoothly not in the least thanks to all the hard work by Mari Molainen, who provided us with delicious food during the two days and who has arranged everything on the Helsinki side of things. The weather was good, except for that one shower during our picnic! but other than that it was fabulous. We had a great group and it’s of course always a little party seeing Meeta again!
Of course there will be complete story with lots of picture from all the way up North, but for now I wanted to share this delicious flatbread with you. Because the weather is warm and sticky and you might not always feel like being in the kitchen for hours to prepare a decent meal. This bread is literally done in a few minutes and it’s maybe not super healthy but it is also not super unhealthy.. 😉 It’s full of juicy little tomatoes, yoghurt sauce and delicious spicy ground meat. What’s not to love right? The original recipe from Donna Hay is made with another flatbread and with lamb mince but that is hard to find here so I just used regular mince. Worked brilliantly!
It should be with roasted pine nuts but I sort of forgot those… 😉
On the way back home I had time to think a bit about where I want to go with my blog; having spend the last couple of days in the inspiring company of some great bloggers I have all sorts of ideas bubbling in my brain. And let’s face it; what is more fun than putting a group of people with the same interests together while enjoying good food?
But to get a better idea of what you – my most appreciated reader – want I have made this little query. It’s anonymous, because it doesn’t matter who you are; it’s purely for my own pleasure so to speak. So if you want to fill it in, you have my eternal gratitude! You’ll find the questions here
Spciy flatbread with tabouleh
- 500 gr mince
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/3 cup caramelised onion relish
- seasalt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp of olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 4 large flatbreads
- 280 gr Greek style yoghurt
- 250 gr mixed cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 40 gr toasted pinenuts roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Place the mince, garlic, cumin, chili flakes, carmelised onions, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine. Heat a large non stick frying pan over high heat. Brush the flatbreads with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and cook for 30 seconds - 1 minute each side or until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and the mince mixture to the pan and cook, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon, for 6-8 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Spread 1/4 cup of the yogurt over each flatbread and top with the mince, tomatoes, mint and pine nuts and drizzle with lemon juice
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.