Our second scallop dish is as good as the first one although personally I like the one qith prosciutto better. Tom likes this one better.
Scallops on a bed of mint and pea puree
- 2 cups frozen peas (recipe states English peas, but not sure if there is any difference!)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint (coarsely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- paprika (large pinch)
- 12 scallops (large)
- Fill a small saucepan with a couple of inches of water. Bring to a boil, add the peas and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes for fresh peas, about 1 minute for frozen peas. Place the peas in a blender and add the mint, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth. Place the pea puree in the saucepan to keep warm.
- In a medium heavy saute pan (preferably cast iron) heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the lemon juice and paprika. When the butter begins to foam, add the scallops. Cook for 2 minutes per side or until just cooked through and each side is golden to amber brown on top.
- Spoon the pea puree into two shallow soup dishes, creating a bed, then place the seared scallops on top and serve.