Pork belly sliders with crispy leftover pork belly, pickled cabbage and hoisin sauce
You know by now that we have been out for dinner quite often when we were in Curacao (just about twice a day..lol) and that is a guaranteed method to get great recipe ideas. On our last day we had dinner at Kome, and our starter was pork belly bites. We got served two sliders with a slice of pork belly in between, a pickled cabbage and a delicious hoisin sauce. A pretty heavy entree if you ask me but it was so good that we couldn’t leave it either.
So coming home I figured it would be a great little dish to try and replicate. Truth be told, the version at Kome was a little bit better, but hey I am no professional chef and as dishes go this one is pretty awesome. You do need to have left over pork belly or another kind of meat you could use to substitute. It would be a bit silly to make the pork belly just for these baby buns. I don’t know about you but for me pork belly is always one of those dishes where you have lots of leftovers. (unless you have it with a large group of people) so there are many dishes you can create with the leftovers. And this is just one of them!
Pork belly sliders with pickled cabbage and hoisin sauce
For the pork belly, I’ve used leftovers of this recipe
- Category: snack
- Leftover roasted pork belly, in strips or cubes
- 1/2 white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 110 gr sugar
- 450 ml apple vinegar
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- 2 pcs of ginger, finely sliced
- 250 ml water
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp soy sauce (use the kind with less salt in it)
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 1 tbsp of honey or molasses
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 2 ttsp sesame oil
- 20 drops of Chinese hot sauce
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Start with making the pickled cabbage. Cut it as thinly as you can. Mix all the other ingredients well together and make sure the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the cabbage and leave to stand for at least an hour but preferably overnight. (we left it too short and while still delicious, it could have been a bit more pronounced
- Simply mix all the ingredients together with a sturdy spoon. It might take a while for it to fully blend together so be patient. It will come.
- Fry your pork belly in a pan until crispy.
- Garnish the buns with the pickled cabbage, ad the pork belly and the hoisin sauce to taste