Millionairs shortbread with salted caramel
Shortbread… Now that is typically one of those things that you weren’t able to find in the Netherlands not that long ago. The first time I ate a piece of a shortbread cookie was with a friend who had a thing for anything Great Brittain related. She made me eat a shortbread cookie. Did I like it? Not one bit I can tell you. I thought it was bland, fatty and just felt like eating a package of butter. I wasn’t used to that. We never made cookies at home and when I did bake them with a friend over at her place, we usually ended up eating all the dough instead… Lol.. That was usually better than the cookies…
In the meantime my taste has changed dramatically but shortbread is still not one of my favorite cookies. It contains so much butter that it always feels like a complete meal rather than an in between snack. But when Caroline came to me with this miljonairs shortbread for our christmas shoot…. Now there was something different all together. It’s heavy so cut small pieces of it and nibble on them in the afternoon as otherwise you won’t feel like eating anymore!
Miljonairs shortbread with salted caramel
- 125 g salted butter + extra for greasing
- 50 g sugar
- 175 gram flour sieved
- 350 gram dulce de leche ready bought or home made
- 100 gram pecan nuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 175 gram dark chocolate
- 15 gram butter
- Extra needed: a baking tin of 20 x 30 cm covered with baking paper and greased
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Add the butter with the sugar and flour into a large bowl and rub it with your fingerstips until it resembles a crumbly mixture.
- Press this mixture into your baking tin and bake into the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Spread with dulce de leche. Add the pecan's on top of that with 1/2 tsp of salt. Leave to set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a double broiler and pour this over the cooled dulce de leche layer and smooth the top with a knife or spatula. Leave to set in the fridge for another 30 minutes. Cut into small squares and serve.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.