Dude food Tuesday: Spicy pita
Once again I welcome all the dudes of this world to our weekly get together; that talking session for those men who suffer from an extreme form of dudaism, those who go through life as the unappreciated dude… Welcome to another episode of Dude Food Tuesday.
This time I want to cover a subject that raises the hairs on many a ‘missus’ at the homefront; the fact that men need a dude night every now and than and that these dudes (imagine sounds of horror movies gathering strength in the background) drink beer!!!
Yes, sorry ladies, men like to drink beer. Mostly because it enhances the dude image in general and has an added advantage too: the more you drink, the tougher and more masculine you become on the ‘dude-o-meter’. Or at least that is what the dude in question is thinking, of course. And recently the missus said to me: “Why are you going out for drinking beer again with your friends? It makes you snore and all. Can’t you try a night of alcohol free beer instead?”
I laughed my man-laugh and answered: “Two things: beer without alcohol is kind of the same thing as a bra on a drying rack. The best and prettiest is no longer there.” Before she could answer I stuck up finger number two: “Second: about snoring. Do you know how hard and how incredibly talented a man has to be to stay asleep while snoring? With so much noise around his head? You should really feel a sense of respect for that!”
After this I quickly had to leave the house, on my way to the appointment with my dude-mates (and the fact that half the plates and cutlery was hurled after me, I merely saw as an re-enacthment of a Greek wedding like, acceptation of my dude vision on the world)
But, after a night of fun with the lads and drinking you want to have a bite.. That fat junkfood that you can score just before hitting the sack. That bag of french fries or shoarma from the Gaza area. Now for those not in the know who do not go out on a regular basis in a large city. Gaza area is the humoristally meant name for the area in the city which is dominated by shoarma joints, kebab bars and falafel shacks and the like.
But a real dude will also face the fact that, by the time he is turning homeward bound, all snack joints in the area have closed their doors for the night. For them and for men who just feel like a quick bite when they come home I have a superfact and fabulous dish to enjoy between the nightly escapades and sleeping to settle the unruly tummy.
Fifty percent toast and 50% shoarma, but 100% delicious bite, after which you can relax and lie down for a relaxing snoring hour.
Spicy pita with cheese and meat
- 6 pita buns
- 1 can of sambal badjak
- slices of melty cheese
- 100-200 grams of cut fricandeau
- 1 bag of arugula
- Preheat the gril, griddle or a regular frying pan and heat a bit of oil. Whatever you can find in the middle of night.
- Cut the pita's open en spread some sambal on the inside, about 1 tsp per sandwich and 1-2 tablespoons of chutney (if you like yours less spicy use more chutney)
- On each pita ad a nice slice of cheese and one or two slices of fricandeau and finish with some arugula
- Close the pita's and put them under the gril, in the pan or frying pan and bake for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and the cheese is starting to melt.
- I think the more inventive dudes might be bubbling with ideas right now for more exciting combinations to this base recipe. Your suggestions are always welcome!
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.