Coconut banana and courgette cake – it’s all about the veggies!
Not sure how things are in your part of the world but here in the Netherlands the intake of a sufficient amount of vegetables each day seems to be a struggle most people completely fail at. If they’re lucky they might get to 100-200 grams which is not nearly enough to get all the needed micronutrients. Vegetables and fruit are filled with good stuff so you want to get as much as possible in, each day in a great variety. Now I love vegetables and fruit so usually it is not an issue to eat enough, but there are days when there is simply no time. I am sure we all know those days all too well.
I am not suggesting that you should eat this cake all day every day but for emergency situations it can be extremely handy. I usually bake one and freeze in little bags that each contain two slices of this cake. Whenever I am in a rush and have to run out the door without a proper breakfast I grab a bag and run of. By the time I am to wherever I need to go, it is defrosted and I have a handy breakfast with me containing at least some vegetables. And it’s pretty delicious too. It could even serve as dessert or as a treat to go with a nice cup of coffee. Choices galore.
One thing that is really important with this cake is that you squeeze the moisture out of the courgette before incorporating it into the batter. Courgette can be really wet so you don’t want your cake to turn out all wet and soggy. So squeeze!! If you’re currently doing a whole30 than keep in mind that this cake is not whole30 approved. The rice syrup can be left out making it all whole30 approved but it is may be not the kind of food you want to eat during your whole30. Up to you!
Coconut banana and courgette cake
- 1 banana mashed
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 ml coconut oil 1/2 cup
- 2 tbsp rice syrup or ommit this if you're doing a whole30
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large courgette grated and moistured squeezed out
- 75 gr coconut flour 2/3 cup
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp grated coconut for over the top
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180 ˚C)
- Line a standard cake tin with baking paper
- Mash the banana in a mixing bowl with a fork. Add the eggs, vanilla, coconut oil, rice syrup (if using), apple cider vinegar and the drained and squeezed courgette and stirr to combine.
- Use a fine sieve to add the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt in the mix and fold it all together.
- Place into the cake tin and smooth the top with a spoon. Sprinkle with the grated coconut and place in the oven for around 50 minutes or until cooked and golden.
- If the coconut on top turns too brown cover it with a piece of aluminium foil.
- Leave to cool before you cut into it.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.
Pingback: BANANA CAKE Who doesn't love a good bananacake? And this one is not only super d... - dessert recipes