Beetroot, apple and freekeh salad #DH 21
Let me first start with a general message; if you consider making this salad I would actually not present it like you see in the photos… It looks nice to have a stack like this but – let’s be honest – it’s a nightmare to eat it like this… Hahaha… So better not do that. The flavors do work together beautifully so in that sense I can highly recommend this salad (in another shape)
I am also quite happy that I finally managed to make another Donna Hay recipe to cross of the list of recipes to make from the magazine. I am only at number 21, so no it’s not going really fast! I don’t want to start on all the delicious sweets that are mentioned in the issue, so those’ll have to wait until further notice. But anyway, over to the recipe. Freekeh is hip, hot and happening as you probably have noticed by now and goes together really well with the beetroot, apple and feta in the dish. If you do want to go wild and prepare the recipe exactly the same way it would be a good idea to use a mandoline for the slicing. I tried to do it by hand but boy, that was not easy! There all a bit crooked, which is why the tower is leaning…
Beetroot, apple and freekeh salad
- 100 gr freekeh firik
- 100 gram bacon or pancetta slices
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- seasalt and black pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples or similar thinly sliced
- 2 Pink Lady apples or similar thinly sliced
- 3 yellow beetroot peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 radish thinly sliced
- 250 gr feta crumbled
- chives for serving
- fry the bacon in a frying pan until golden and crispy and leave to drain on a piece of kitchen paper. Cook the freekeh according to the instructions on the package. For precooked freekeh that will be around ten minutes but if you have regular it takes 45 minutes! Make sure you know which one you have..
- Drain the freekeh and leave to cool.
- Add the vinegar, maple syrup, oil, mustard and salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the freekeh, apple, beetroot, radish and feta and shake to combine it all.
- Divide the salad across four plates and serve with the crispy pancetta and the chives.
The nutritional values above are calculated per portion. The details are based on standard nutritional tables and do not constitute a professional nutritional advice.