Quick savory tart with peas and tomatoes
You know that feeling? You have a dish planned out in your hear that you ‘quickly’ want to make but for the life of you, you cannot remember where you stacked the recipe. In this case I had planned a private workshop on the wednesday and quiche and soup where the two topics we were gonna tackle. So I thought; ok, good, I’ll make a few mini quiche. Simple. And it is simple ofcourse. But I wanted to make sure I got the egg to cream ratio correct and I knew I had a superquick and delicious recipe for that one my site… Somewhere…
But no matter where I look and no matter what search terms I used, I found nothing, nada, zip… Shit… Checked my book on tarts and yes all looked delicious but not as quick as the one I had in mind. So back on the digital highway. My old sites maybe? It ended up being on one of the old ones that are now offline, but thankfully I can still access most of the content… And so I found the recipe again. I have now moved it over to here as well. We don’t want to get into that situation again, right? It’s the smoked chicken and feta quiche.
The version I made for the workshop is different but that is the good thing about this ultra simple base recipe. If you have some puff pastry in the freezer, a few eggs and some double cream, you can use just about anything you have left over in the fridge. In this case I used tomatoes from the garden, peas from the freezer and ok, I did buy the chicken.
And for something so simple and so quick this is delicious. Try it also with mushrooms or good old cheese or even better, blue cheese… Yum!
Savory tarts with tomatoes, peas and smoked chicken
- 4-6 Pieces of puff pastry (10 cm square ones) defrosted
- 3 eggs
- 185 ml double cream
- 100 gr green peas
- piece of smoked chicken
- handfull of cherry tomatoes, halved
- some dried herbs if you want (like mediterranean herb mix)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C If you're using non stick coating tins you don't really need to grease them as there is enough butter in the puff pastry, but if you're using regular ones, best to grease them)
- Whisk the eggs with cream, pepper and salt and if using, add the herbs in as well.
- Cover the tins with a piece of puff pastry and prick a few holes in the bottom with a fork.
- Cut your smoked chicken in small pieces and divide over the tuns. Do the same thing with the peas. Make sure you don't over fill the forms as it will flow over the edge once in the oven.
- Put your cream mixture on top and don't fill all the way to the edge. Leave a little bit of space. Remember the eggs will puff up.
- Press a few tomatoes in the mix. Cut side up.
- Put into the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden and firm