Dude Food Tuesday: How to handle a winterdepression?
We are already halfway through November and a lot of people are starting with their annual winterdepression.
The ever present buzz of complaints about life in general and not perfect bodies (read: “I am too fat, to run around the beach in a bikini of size extra small), becomes louder and louder when the days become shorter and the weather windy and rainy.
I never understood why people start complaining about (the lack of) perfect bikini bodies in that season of the year in which you want to wear any type of clothes, except swimwear.
And to make the seasonal depressionists even more gloomy, the covers of trendy lifestyle magazines cry slogans like “A bikin body is build in Winter” or “Lose weight? Where there is a will, there is a way!”.
All fine by me, but my will to lose weight is encountering a lot of ‘Under construction’ on its way. And, don’t forget the major traffic jam during the December fesitivities with all the food and bevvies.
I came to accept the fact that my road to a lean and mean body looks to be a dead end. Yes, this dude has the balls to be imperfect! Thank you very much.
And speaking about dead ends: we all die in the end, don’t we? So you can better enjoy the years before this happens to the max.
When my time has come I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather… not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
What I am trying to say fellow dudes (and dudettes) is that Life is short. So smile while you still have teeth. And use them teeth to eat nice and dudey things.
Like this big prawns in a crispy fried tempura batter with (not so mental) dip of chipotle mayonaise.
Trust me, after tasting these little jewels your winterdepression will melt like the last snow in the sun of early spring.
Tempura prawns with chipotle mayonaise
Deliciously fried prawns in a crunchy tempura coating served with a creamy and spicy chipotle mayonaise
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- 8 to 12 big gambas, you can either use fresh or frozen ones
- 8 tbsp good mayonaise, or check HERE for a recipe of DIY Mayonaise
- 2 chipotles right from the adobo sauce, diced up very fine (if you want to crank up the heat just add more chipotle to taste)
- 75 gr flour, to dust the gambas
- oil for frying the gambas
- For the tempura batter:
- 1 50 gr (1 cup) flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) sparkling, icecold water
- 1 egg
- salt n peppa
- Defrost the gambas (in case of frozen ones) and peel them. Remove poopshoot and then heat oil in a wok or deepfrying pan to frying temperature (180°C)
- Meanwhile mix the ingredients for the batter until you got a light and airy batter. The batter stays a little watery.
- Lightly dust the gambas with the remaining flour and then whip them through the batter. Deep fry until golden and crisp for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then let them drain on some paper towel.
- Mix the thinly sliced and diced chipotle through the mayonaise and serve the crunchy gamba’s with this delicious dipsauce on the side