Yessss… something sweet again! You were afraid that I would only post healthy stuff from now on right? Well a little bit healthy this cake is too because it has yogurt in it, rhubarb (vegetables!), orange (fruit!) and chocolate (isn’t that a little bit like fruit? Lol)
Because it is almost mothersday and what better opportunity to bake a cake. And delicious this is for sure although the combination of the chocolate and the fruit is on the heavy side. For next time I will be making this without the chocolate and just the fruit as that will make it fresher I think.
I made two different versions in this case; one in a little round tin which you see above and one in the more grown up version with icing and roasted almonds on top. Personally I like the last one best, but the first one looks more festive.
And especially for Mother’s Day Yoghurt Barn has a great offer this time. You have a change to win a delicious brunch for two at Yoghurt Barn in Amsterdam and Utrecht! That also makes a lovely surprise for your mother! (but ofcourse you can come with a friend too)
What you need to do to win this brunch? Leave a comment on this post before May 9th and like the facebook page of Yoghurt Barn
Out of all the comments a winner will be picked and he/she will be notified of this by mail.
Yogurt rhubarb orange cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
The chocolate makes this a rather rich and heavy cake but you can leave out the chocolate for a lighter and fresher version.
- 185 gr Greek yogurt
- 95 gr chopped hazelnuts
- 270 gr all purpose flour
- 1,5 tl baking powder
- 1/2 tl baking soda
- 1/2 tl salt
- 215 gr sugar
- 1 large egg
- 150 ml orange juice (freshly made)
- zest of 1 orange
- 250 gr rhubarb in small pieces
- 100 gr dark chocolate (in pieces) Optional
- For the topping:
- Icing sugar (and water, mix to the desired consistency)
- Almond slivers, shortly roasted in the frying pan
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda and the salt together in a large bowl and mix this.
- In another bowl add the yogurt, sugar, egg and the orange juice. Stir this through and add the flour mixture and mix it well. Add the chopped rhubarb, the chocolate (if using) hazelnuts and the orange zest. Stir this through with a spoon or spatula
- Put into a greased cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes. Check with a wooden skewer if the cake is done. When it comes out clean it will be cooked. If not leave to stand in the oven for a few more minutes.
- For making the icing put the icing sugar into a bowl and add a little bit of water to it. Don't use too much water all in one go as it dissolved and if it becomes too runny it will be very messy to apply.
- Once at the right consistency brush it over the top of the cake and sprinkle with the toasted almonds