Cauliflower rice with kale and changes in life
Is is really february already?
Wow, I can’t believe that the year is already getting away from me with lightning speed… Before I could say ‘Happy Newyear’ it is already February. I’m pretty sure it must be a sign of getting old. Haha… or at least I think my mum always said something along those lines to me when I was much much younger. Anyway, the year is not really off to a great start.
There are some personal issues I have to work through plus I kind of feel that I am in a rut when it comes to work. I’ve been doing food photography now for 6 or 7 years in a row and while the cookbook industry still seems to go on, I do feel – very strongly – that it is about to end. Budgets are getting tighter and let’s face it: how many cookbooks can you really make about any one subject? There is nothing that is new anymore and it just seems more of the same.
Quite frankly I would love to pack up everything and go on a world tour. But that’s just not realistic. No work, no money! But with the cookbook stuff in the back of my mind plus the fact that I kind of feel I don’t particularly like doing it as much as I used to, it is time to think about the future. Always such a big and scary word, don’t you think?
Because what will I be doing going forward if there is no more food photography to turn to? Will I be blogging full time? (not gonna happen) Will I be doing “something” with food (likely) or will there be something entirely new coming along? To be honest, I don’t know yet and it is scaring the crap out of me. Not a good feeling and I have to shake that. And shake it quickly too. Because out of fear nothing good will come! As of this week I will be starting a new course that is food related and also not food related. It’s all about hormones and what they do for us. I’m excited about that.
It’s gonna be an interesting one and will also be quite intensive or so I’ve heard. Lots of home study!
Cauliflower rice with kale
In the meantime I have to eat and I have to eat well. I think especially in times of stress it is more important than ever to at least make sure the body and mind are nourished properly. So I eat things like this dish. it is easily made vegan by removing the feta or glutenfree by removing the croutons. And looking for paleo or whole30? Just remove the feta and the croutons and replace with croutons with some crispy bacon. Always a winner!
Cauliflower rice with kale and feta
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 100-200 gr kale, chopped
- 2 slices of bread
- (optional) parmesan cheese
- 50 gr feta
- lemon oil
- oil for baking
- Break the cauliflower apart and place in the bowl of a food processor. Turn this to coarse crumbs, resembling the size of rice.
- heat a large frying pan and ad a bit of oil. Bake the cauliflower for about a minute before adding the kale. Bake this together for a few more minutes. Add pepper and salt to taste.
- The croutons you make by slicing the bread. Bake this crispy in quite a bit of oil. Also very tasty is to add a bit of parmesan to the pan.
- Serve the cauliflower rice by crumbling the feta over the top and adding the croutons. Sprinkle liberally with the lemon oil.
- Vegan? - Remove the feta from the recipe
- Paleo/Whole30? - Remove the feta and the croutons and replace with crispy bacon
- Glutenfree - Remove the croutons