During weekdays I like to eat things like oat meal or greek yogurt or something along those lines and I love throwing a few crispy or crunchy bits on top. So I have made my own breakfast topping mix that you can easily make for the next two weeks. If you keep it in a jar that seals tight it will stay good for at least two weeks. The only thing left to do in the morning is to prepare your favorite breakfast and than sprinkle this on top. You can vary with adding different dried and/or fresh fruits. You could even opt to roast it in the oven with a bit of oil and honey added for added sweetness, but to me it doesn’t need anything extra.
You can also vary the mix itself with different kinds of nuts, different kinds of seeds or whatever you have at hand. Make sure you add dried fruits (and fresh ones too) only after you have done the roasting otherwise it will become a big mess.
The apricots I used here you can substitute with dates, goji berries, dried figs and the like.
Nutty breakfast topping
- 50 gram sunflower seeds
- 50 gram pumpkin seeds
- 50 gram sesame seeds
- 50 gram mixed nuts
- 100 gram dried apricots
- Spread the nuts and seeds out on a baking tray (without the apricots) and make sure you have a single layer and not too many on top of each other.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C and put the mixture in. Roast for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Keep a close eye on it as it tends to go really quickly. So don't walk away and forget you have something in the oven!
- Leave to cool completely before putting it in a jar you can close with a lid. Add the apricots (cut them into smaller pieces first of course)
- Shake it and you're good to go!