What do vegans eat??
During our workshops it happens on a regular basis that we have a participant who is eating paleo, vegetarian, vegan or who is suffering from some sort of allergy. So that is something we have to take into account. And when we are hosting the workshop in Voorschoten it is quite easy as Natascha is taking care of everything we could possibly want (we are spoiled!) but when in Almere it is a bit more complicated. Femmy from Het Groene Geheim also does everything she can to make everyone happy, but where De Keuken van Greendelicious is a cooking studio, Het Groene Geheim is nothing of the sort.
So to not make it too difficult on Femmy Alex and I are making the things that fall outside of the realms of ‘regular eating’. For the last workshop that meant we had someone who was vegan. Now that is really not so complicated but you can make it complicated for yourself… 😉 So you stress when you think what on earth you can make for someone who doesn’t eat any meat, fish, cheese, butter or eggs. Or whatever other animal products there would be out there. So you have to go back to the books or as in my case back to a vegan website.
Turns out they eat quite normal food… 😉
Vegan has a bit of a reputation problem I sometimes think as looking at some of the recipes I found they are all actually quite delicious and unknowingly I do create vegan dishes on a regular basis. Without even knowing it or putting up and effort. And this salad is delicious. Anything with mango has a plus in my book so when I saw the recipe I just had to make it!
Quinoa salad with mango
- 150-250 gram quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 can black eyes peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 mango, cut into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, in cubes
- 2 pcs of spring onions, chopped
- half a bunch of coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp quince vinegar or apple cider
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Put the mango, the bell pepper, the spring onions and the coriander together in a big bowl. Add the quince vinegar, the olive oil and pepper and salt and mix it all together.
- Add the quinoa and the beans to it and stir through.
- You can serve the salad straight away or put into the fridge so the flavors can develop a bit more.