I am bored. Bored when it comes to making Dude Food.
It’s not that I am in lack of Dudey inspiration, but because it’s all about healthy food right now in this house.
And that has all to do with the accident the Misses had a couple of weeks ago and that she has to stay in bed for the better part of the day.
So the Misses is very strict in not eating too much sugar and fat, because she is at an all time low in burning calories with the lack of exercize.
Therefore every dish I make that has only the slightest hint of sweet or fat is frowned upon at best by the Misses.
Everywhere I look in the kitchen I see fruits and veggies. Not the first ingredients that come to mind when you think about Dude Food.Fortunately I found some big and meaty mushrooms in the fridge today and I couldn’t help but think to make a macho dish with them.
When I turned a pristine white button mushroom in my hand it reminded me of how many tourists come to Holland (especially Amsterdam) to enjoy mushrooms.
Ok, they enjoy completely different mushrooms in a completely different way, but they enjoy them nonetheless. And they like herbs to, smoking herbs.
After thinking a brief moment about this a recipe with herbs and mushrooms came to mind.
I wanted to deep fry these beautiful buttons in a slightly seasoned beer batter. Yummie.
Actually I am a big fan of deep fried mushrooms in batter, because of the crunchy coating and that sweet meaty mushroom inside it.
To spice things up a little I added some sesame seeds to the batter and finished this dish with a fresh and smokey dipping of yoghurt and chipotle tobasco.
Really easy to make this as a starter and I know for sure that your guests will appreciate this Dudey dish as well.
And did you know that in Holland the button mushroom is called a champignon? The same as in French?
So when you have your friends over to watch the soccer game together you can serve them as a snack, while singing your favorite sports song:
“We eat the champignons, my friend. And we keep on frying till the end.”
Dudefood Tuesday: Mushrooms in beer batter
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Snack
- 12-15 big button mushrooms, brushed clean
- 150 gr flour
- 200 ml ice cold beer
- 2 tbsp sesame seed
- 250 ml Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cucumber, deseeded and grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, very finely chopped or pressed in a garlic press
- 1 tsp tabasco with chipotle pepper
- salt n peppa
- Preheat the deep fryer to 180° C or heat sunflower oil in a deep stir frying pan
- Put the beer in a bowl and whisk in the flour and sesame seeds until you have a firm and airy batter. Throw the mushrooms in the batter and make sure that they are completely coated with batter.
- Mix the grated cucumber, garlic and tabasco with chipotle through the yoghurt until you have a fresh and creamy dip sauce. Add salt n peppa to taste.
- Gently put the battered buttons in the hot oil and fry them until they are golden brown (about 4 to 5 minutes). Try to turn the mushrooms regurarly during the frying, so they become gold and crisp on all sides. When they are ready, take the buttons out of the oil with a skimmer and let them dry on some paper towel.
- Serve up to three mushrooms per person and put the yoghurt dip on the side.
- To bring some variety in flavor you can add different spices to the batter. For example fennel seeds or cumin.