It’s chilly times
I’m not a political person. In fact, I kind of dislike politics. It’s never what you want it to be. Most politicians tell you one thing and than end up doing another thing entirely.
But of course I’ve been following the ever so famous US election like everyone else on the planet. It’s pretty much the most talked about subject worldwide. Not one that makes me really happy. I mean… seriously… Donald Trump as president of the United States??? Can the world get any weirder?
I do worry about the future but I think we have to wait and see what will happen. It is what it is. Thankfully there is always comfortfood around to make us feel warm inside when the political climate is chilly to say the least. Food that is perfect prepared in either a heavy pan such as a Dutch oven or in a tajine such as we did here.
It’s a quick stew. Not one that takes hours to prepare and the last part is done in the oven so no need to stand over the stove for a long time. I love recipes like this. I have also decided I need to be making more stews in general.
I don’t know what the weather is in your part of the world right now, but here it is getting increasingly chilly, Temperatures have dropped to around 0˚C and the forecast tells us that it will drop lower to around -5˚C pretty soon. What can be better for a good stew to share with your loved ones. While the world has gone slightly mad and everyone – around the world – will be wondering what will come next, it’s stuff like that that keeps us grounded and sane.
Stew with chicken and tomatoes
- 250 gr chicken filet, cut in cubes
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 2 onions, cut
- 1 red chili, finely sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, in cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, in small pieces
- 150 gr green peas (frozen)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp of brandy (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C. Heat some oil in a pan and quickly bake the chicken together with the onion, garlic and red chili.
- Once the chicken is golden, put everything in the tajine and add all vegetables, spices and herbs.
- Pour the stock and the brandy in the tajine (you don't need a lot of liquid since the lid will be on the tajine), add a bit of salt and pepper and close it with the tajine lid. Put into the oven for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. Make sure to take the tajine out of the oven with oven gloves and put it on a heat resistant surface.
- Serve the tajine with delicious bread, baked potatoes or a cauliflower couscous.