Well here it is; the recipe for the roasted chicken that was the subject of the chicken photography challenge.. 😉 Good looking chicken right? It was a good dish, but I had expected a much more sticky outside to be honest. The chicken is emerged in the soy mixture for over an hour and so I was thinking it would be nice and sticky on the outside, but that didn’t happen. Too bad, but the taste was quite allright. And considering the fact that this is only the second chicken I have ever roasted at home (yes, true!) I think it’s looking quite good!
Sticky soy ginger chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 cup (250 ml) dark soy sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) kecap manis
- 1/3 cup Chinese black vinegar (80 ml)
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 8 cm piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 dried chilies
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and bruised
- 1 whole chicken of about 1,5 kg, rinsed and patted dry
- asparagus or other vegetable to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Place the soy sauce, the kecap, vinegar, honey, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, chilies and garlic in a large pan that can hold the chicken later too. Heat the mixture and bring to the boil. Tie the chicken legs together with string.
- Put the chicken in the pan with breast side down and baste the top of the chicken with the mixture. Put in the oven, uncovered for 40 minutes and baste every 20 minutes
- After 40 minutes remove the pan from the oven, carefully turn the chicken around and bake for another 30 minutes, basting every ten minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and strain the sauce. Cut the chicken into pieces and serve with the pan juices and asparagus.
Recipe by Donna Hay
- Salad with farro, tomato and chili dressing - August 31, 2015
- Supersimple cheesecake with raspberries - August 29, 2015
- Dudette Tuesday: Mac & Chorizo cheese - August 25, 2015
- Multi functional breakfast topping - August 22, 2015
- Homemade hamburger with bacon and blue cheese - August 21, 2015
This post is also available in: Dutch