Coconut icecream with roasted coconut and malibu
I love icecream. Really. There is something so utterly satisfying about that creamy consistency and I love playing around with flavors and making my own. However the icecreammaker that I had before didn’t really (really not) live up to the task and the consequence of that was that the last icecream I made was centuries ago. And that is sad… In a summer that is all by itself quite sad already, you need a little something to pick you up once in a while, right?
A loan machine!
So I was over the moon happy when Miljuschka, the author of the most recent cookbook I did two weeks ago, decided that her icecream machine could sleep over at my place for a bit. And the fact that it still took me two weeks to make the first icecream batch had everything to do with the slightly hectic schedule than with the machine itself. And let me tell you… I love that machine. It’s a shame it is so expensive (as in € 500,= +) or I would have gone and buy one immediately. It is self freezing so no fuzzing around with putting stuff in the freezer for at least 24 hours. We actually decided to make icecream on a whim yesterday and just used the stuff we already had in the house. And what a difference with my previous icecream maker! I am hooked now! So you see I just got a bit lucky.. 😉
The ice itself looks a bit grainy but that is due to the coconut shavings that I left in. It is also an egg-less icecream making it really quick to make and the coconut inside makes it still luscious and creamy. Not too sweet either. And now that I got the hang of it, I am already thinking of other icecream experiments… I don’t know how long the machine will be staying with me so I’ve got to make the most of it!
This recipe comes from the book by Linda Lomelino and if you love icecream it is a must have. Not only for the gorgeous photography but the recipes are pretty good too. I’ve had the book for a while but since I was lacking an icecream machine I had not made anything from it before.
So while I continue with the ice cream adventure… I leave you with this roasted coconut icecream. Enjoy!
Roasted coconut icecream with coconut liquor
Yield: 1/2 liter of icecream
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 75 gram grated coconut
- 150 ml milk
- 70 gram sugar
- 200 ml creamy coconut milk (80% coconut)
- 200 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp of coconut liquor (I used Malibu)
- 1 tbsp of lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 175 C. Spread the coconut shavings over a baking plate and bake in the oven. Be careful as it takes only a few minutes and browns real easily, so stay close to the oven and check regularly until golden and brown.
- Put the milk together with the roasted coconut into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn of the heat and leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
- Mix the sugar, the coconut milk and the double cream in a bowl. You can sieve out the coconut or leave it in, as I did. If you want to take it out, make sure you squeeze all milk from the coconut.
- Add the booze and the zest to the mix, Stir well and put in the fridge to bring down to very cool before adding into your ice cream maker.